An Argument

The more Anastasia thought about it, the more it made sense. Adelaide's modern ways, her free way of speaking, the conversation with Mrs. Shrewsbury - it all seemed so obvious now. Anastasia reclined in an armchair by the empty fireplace in her room, glad to finally have a chance to rest. The newspaper, Votes For Women, lay on her bed, untouched. Why should she read it? It was probably filled with plans for rallies and vadilising Mr. Asquith's property or smashing the windows at Westminster.

"Anastasia!"

The voice was so thunderous Anastasia almost leaped out of her seat, her heart skipping two or three beats. Her bedroom door was flung open and her father stormed in, looking murderous.

"Papa - what is it? What's happened?"

"Did you or did you not refuse Mr. Blake's hand in marriage?" Lord Adlington's voice sounded strained, as though it took him all the effort he could muster to keep himself from shouting.

Realisation dawned on Anastasia. She had entirely forgotten of the failed proposal, given all the excitement with Adelaide. Now her father stood before her, evidently fuming with rage. She had heard, on several occasions, that she had inherited his temper, but never had she seen it in him like this until now. It frightened her. She stammered slightly, trying to think quickly. "I - I did not."

It was the truth, was it not? After all, Mr. Blake hadn't actually proposed.

"Is that so?" Lord Adlington snarled. "Then why, pray, did your mother report that he left the house in a foul mood after requesting a private audience with you?"

"I do not know, Papa." She tried to keep her voice calm and steady, but this only seemed to infuriate him further.

"You do not know?! You do not know?! Don't play the fool with me, Anastasia. Have you any idea just how awful our financial situation is? I have lost everything! And what little I haven't has been put into your first Season and your dowry, so it would be easier for you to find a husband!"

"Papa - "

"And yet you insult me!" he carried on, ignoring her. "You dare to insult me by refusing the first, and very likely, only good offer you receive?"

And that was when Anastasia gave up any attempts to remain rational. Anger flared up inside her and burned through her veins. "And I don't suppose I have a choice in any of this? Is there any consideration for my happiness?"

"You would rather live in the shame and humiliation of poverty, would you?"

"No, but at least I wouldn't spend my life being the dutiful wife producing heirs and sitting at home while the rest of the world carries on outside - " Anastasia cut herself off, as it occurred to her she was repeating what Adelaide had said to her. She had been sceptical, had not given the words any real thought. But now, she saw why -

"You are being selfish, Anastasia. It is not only yourself for whom you must do this. It will affect us all, myself, your mother - "

"Selfish?" she repeated incredulously, reminded of what Robert had said at Molloy Park -

"I'm the one who must suffer the consequences, I'm the one who must pay for what he has done."

She hadn't understood his anger then, why he had thought is was unfair. But now, now she knew what he had meant.

"Papa, I hardly feel it necessary to remind you of the fact that it's your fault we are in this situation."

Lord Adlington did not retaliate, he only stood staring at her, breathing heavily. He was quite red in the face by this time. Eventually, he opened his mouth to speak, but at that moment Lady Adlington entered the room. She, too, looked furious.

"Would you be quiet! The whole household can hear you. The servants - "

"I don't care about the servants."

"Tony! Don't be ridiculous - "

"Be quiet, Cecily!" Lord Adlington snapped, causing his wife to fall silent quite suddenly. "There is another issue we must address. Anastasia, would you care explain where you disappeared to after the proposal?"

"I told you already, there was no proposal! Adelaide came in before he could say anything... " she faltered, seeing her father's rage.

"Adelaide Whitby? You mean to suggest she is the reason I am not currently celebrating your engagement?"

"Of course not - "

"You are not to see her again. Ever. Is that understood?"

"Hush, Tony," Lady Adlington hissed. "I will not allow you to prevent Lady Adelaide from seeing Anastasia. Have you forgotten Lord Terbridge and Mr. Whitby? This might all work to our advantage. Lord Terbridge is an even better match for Anna, and as Adelaide and she have become such close friends, it is very likely, with a little encouragement, they will form an attachment."

"Mamma!" Anastasia cried, indignant.

"You're mother's right, Anastasia. But," Lord Adlington leaned down, coming to her level. "Should you fail to secure Lord Terbridge's hand - "

"You will force me into an arranged marriage?" Anastasia asked sarcastically, wondering what on earth he could really threaten her with.

"Remember your actions will decide our fate."

Anastasia suddenly felt an overwhelming desire to roll her eyes. She could have continued to argue with her parents, but it would have been illogical. They had, in a sense, told her to spend more time in Adelaide's company, something she would never object to.

"Very well," she murmured as feebly as she could.

Lord and Lady Adlington left soon afterwards, reminding Anastasia that luncheon was in a quarter of an hour. She moved to her vanity desk and rested her elbows on the table, putting her head in her hands. She glanced over to her bed, where the newspaper still lay. It struck her that she was lucky her father had not noticed it.

On later reflection, Anastasia liked to think it was then she decided to join the WSPU. That she felt the injustice her father had shown her was enough to convince her that women should fight for equality. But, in truth, she was not entirely prepared to take such drastic action until she saw who had written the first article in Votes For Women -

Stella Campbell.