Rain

A large drop of rain splashing on her nose reminded Anastasia of where she was.

"James?" she whispered, leaning her head against his chest and listening to the low, comforting drum-like beating of his heart.

"Yes?"

"It is beginning to rain again."

She felt him look up. "So it is."

"We are expected for dinner," she murmured.

"Do you wish to leave?" he asked, raising his eyebrows.

"No," she sighed. "But I should."

"Come inside."

"James, we can't. My aunt and uncle - and - and Charlotte and - "

"Anna!" a voice cried from the doorway. The rain was, by now, falling steadily, making it difficult to see, but Anastasia and James sprang apart in surprise all the same.

"Yes, Robert?" Anastasia called back, fighting her irritation and the blush colouring her cheeks.

"Campbell, bring my cousin inside the house. Can't you see it's raining? If you're so careless, I'll never let you have her."

At that, James' lip curled. He took Anastasia's arm, "We had better go inside or Grayson will have me for - "

"Campbell!"

Wet as they were, they hurried towards the house.

"Patience is a virtue, Robert," Anastasia told him as James escorted her in the door. "And what did you mean, have me? Am I now an object?" she asked, her tone daring.

"Yes, of course that is exactly what I meant, Anna. I, Robert Grayson, soon to marry a militant suffragette, spoke of my cousin as if she were an object in my possession," he said theatrically.
"Though, quite seriously, if you," he pointed at James, "had kept her out a moment longer, I would be tempted to prevent you from ever seeing her again."

"Don't you even think about doing such a thing!" Anastasia tried to pretend to be angry, but was feeling so high and light inside that it was proving to be difficult.

"Speaking of which," James began. "Would you mind if I lengthened my visit?" He glanced over at her and Anastasia felt her heart rate increase.

Robert looked between them smugly. He crossed his arms. "Oh, I shall have to see. Why do you wish to stay?"

She glared at him in exasperation. "Oh really, Robert! Leave James alone. Or I shall tell Adelaide of that time when - "

Robert looked alarmed and hushed her immediately, promising James he could remain at Fawley for as long as he liked. "You're impossible, Anna."

She smirked.

"Everyone will be coming down soon. Anna, why don't you go up to Charlotte and see if she can have you fitted in some dry clothes? Campbell, you had better dress for dinner quickly."

"I'll come up in a moment," James said.

Robert frowned and seemed to debate this idea with himself for a few seconds. Then, "Very well. A moment. But I'll be back down here  in five minutes and if - "

"Robert."

Reluctantly, Robert climbed the stairs, glancing back down to them when he reached the top. At last, when he was out of sight, Anastasia turned back to James.

"So you'll stay?" she said breathlessly.

He took her hands in his. "Of course. I will not be away from you a moment longer than necessary. I love you, Anastasia." He pressed a light kiss to her forehead.

"And I, you. But, James?" she asked suddenly.

"Mmm?"

"Do you think we could keep this a secret, just for a while? I know Robert knows, and Adelaide will too. But I don't want any fuss. You've seen what they're like about the wedding."

"I am glad you suggested it, for I was thinking precisely the same."

She sighed in relief.

"Though, when it does come to it, I must ask - for I know you suffragettes - will you wish me to go to your father, or your mother?" He grinned.

Anastasia laughed. "I think perhaps you should ask Robert, for he's already acting the part."

"Actually, what was it you were going to say, about telling Adelaide?"

She chuckled. "Oh, nothing in particular. There are so many incidents that have occurred in the last eighteen years that we have been together from which I could choose. Nothing particularly embarrassing, but I think Robert knows how Adelaide would laugh at some of them. I've played my fair share of tricks in the past. You know, once he spent the better part of an hour searching for a bird I pretended to have seen. I told him it could not fly and was very colourful had hopped off into the bushes. And then, while he was distracted, I pushed him into the dirt."

James laughed. "When was this?"

"Only a year ago! Oh, what a fool he was."

"What are you talking about?" Robert's voice came from above. "Campbell, if you do not come up in the next - "

"I'm coming, Grayson."

James and Anastasia looked at each other and grinned. Even as they parted when they reached the top of the staircase Anastasia kept the smile plastered to her face, unable to right her expression. She felt such pure happiness, everything was perfect.

***

Author's Note

There's still one more chapter to come. I'm debating between an epilogue set five years later, or one set just before Robert and Adelaide get married (ie in two months). Any preferences? Please explain why!