Friendship

"So," Robert began, yawning as he stretched out. The foursome were sitting under the shade of one of the many willow trees surrounding the lake in front of Avondale. "Now that we're all friends..." he eyed James and Anastasia, raising his brow. The pair, who were sitting next to each other, looking through a book on ornithology, showed their distaste at this statement. James rolled his eyes, and Anastasia closed the book and lifted it above her head, pretending to bring down on Robert's head, causing Charlotte to burst out laughing. "We should plan a proper outing - to Kellington Hill, or Leers? What about Molloy Park?"

"Oh, yes, Molloy is lovely this time of year!" Charlotte sighed, adjusting her parasol.

"But we were there only a couple of weeks ago, Robert. Remember, before Charlotte came back?"

"Oh, Anna, please?"

"Why don't we let Campbell decide?" Robert suggested.

"Very well," Charlotte conceded. "James?"

"Well," James started, glancing around the group. "I've never been to any of these places, so I can hardly be a fair judge."

"Why don't the rest of us have a vote then? Campbell, you'll just have to trust us," Robert said. "Molloy Park?" He and Charlotte raised their hands. "Molloy it is then. Sorry, Anna."

Anastasia shook her head. "It doesn't matter - I won't be allowed to go until Mademoiselle comes back anyway." Her governess had now been gone a fortnight, but she had written to say she would be another week at least. Mlle.Dubois' sister had taken a turn for the worse just the previous day. Anastasia was beginning to think it may take far longer than originally anticipated.

"But really, if - "

"Robert, don't even try. It is quite improper for a young lady to be out unchaperoned with two gent-" Charlotte faltered, realising her mistake.

Anastasia began to boil bright red and had to clench her fists to keep her from doing something she knew she would later regret. She hated to be reminded of the fact she was now supposedly 'a lady', and Charlotte knew that very well.

"This heat is quite unbearable, I think I'll return to the house." Charlotte said quickly, standing to dust off her skirt.

Robert, who hadn't noticed the blunder, joked, "What! Walk all the way to the house just across the lake unaccompanied? The gossips will still be talking about it in a year!"

Charlotte scowled and strode back to the house in a huff. "Anastasia?" she asked somewhat timidly, though still firmly.

"The day is not yet too hot for me, thank you, Charlotte," Anastasia said coolly.

The three left behind spent a few minutes in a peaceful silence broken only by the birds singing. Anastasia, after a minute of deep breathing, managed to banish her rage. She could see Robert had been completely oblivious to the implication of his sister's words, thank goodness, but James had been watching her closely ever since. Eventually, Robert announced he needed to speak to the grooms about his horse becoming lame so often, and he trotted off towards the stables.

"Are you alright?" James inquired soon after he had left. Anastasia didn't need to ask what he was referring to.

"Of course, and you needn't worry about me. I'm perfectly capable of handling my temper." James cocked an eyebrow. "Well, most of the time. Or - at least, sometimes." He shook his head. "Fine, then! I'm rarely able to hold my anger in. It's my greatest fault and always has been." Anastasia admitted, ashamed. "But everyone has faults... and regrets, don't they?"

James nodded thoughtfully. "That they do. If your temper is your greatest fault, what's your biggest regret?"  He asked playfully.

"Hmm...Ah, I know. Not eating more at luncheon - I'm ravenous!" Both of them laughed heartily. Finally, Anastasia sobered enough to ask, "Well, now I've confessed to you, you must confess yours to me. Well, James Campbell, what is your greatest fault and what do you regret most?"

James quietened at once. He stared into the shimmering water, and it was some time before he spoke. "I - sorry, but I'd rather not think about it." Anastasia nodded, for once not pushing for an answer. "So tell me about this Molloy Park, why are your dear cousins so keen on it?"

At this, Anastasia laughed. "It's not a park at all really, just a small field in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by woods and a copse filled with wildflowers and a little brook flowing through."

"It sounds lovely, but I don't quite see why you were laughing." James commented, furrowing his brow.

"Well, it's quite near Ronden, where the Blakes live."

"The Blakes?"

"Lord Ronden is a Viscount and he has four young, extremely eligible and extremely handsome sons. Now you can see Charlotte's motive," Anastasia said slyly.

"I'm confused - why were you so against going if this is the case?"

"Good God, you're as bad as Robert! Careful, remember I may not be so forgiving with you," Anastasia growled, tempted to shove him into the lake.

"Forgiving? Anastasia, I don't think I have ever known someone to hold a grudge as long as you."

"What grudge?"

"Well, you and I didn't make peace until last week, all because I offered to help you when you fell."

"I was perfectly capable of getting up myself, thank you," she sniffed.

"As you made quite clear to me." James chuckled, recalling their first meeting.

"I amused you, didn't I? Very well, I think we've determined yet another of my countless faults."

"Let's go back to the point of all this. Why didn't you want to go?"

Anastasia sighed. "The eldest Blake, Gregory, is, or used to be, at least, keen on me."

"And are you keen on him?" James asked, but the expression on Anastasia's face - somewhere between irritation and amusement - answered him. He smirked. "Oh, Anastasia, you and your suitors!"

"Me and my fortune hunters, you mean," Anastasia corrected him quietly. To take her mind off the subject, she added, "There's a sister too. Clarissa Blake. She's very pretty, but has little more to recommend her, in my opinion, at least."

"Is that so?"

"Oh yes, she and Charlotte make a wonderful pair. I've always wondered why they were such good friends. My cousin wasn't always as she is, you know."

"And how would that have been?"

"Before all this finishing school business she cared little for things like sitting indoors doing embroidery and taking care to always look her best. She is very different now, I'm afraid," she finished quietly. Then, "But I suppose gentlemen want a wife who looks and behaves well."

James showed slight surprise at this comment, but shrugged. "It would depend on the gentleman."

Anastasia sighed. "You may be right, but Miss Blake has received no less than three marriage proposals in a year. It seems as though a very great number of them care only for a large dowry and pretty face." She blushed. "I'm making you uncomfortable, I apologise."

"Of course not, Anastasia. You may speak as freely as you wish with me."

"Thank you."