Causes

Anastasia told her story and Robert, save for a few exclamations at the beginning, remained silent throughout. She told him of everything that had happened from the Whitby ball to her argument with James. She did omit, however, her conversation with Adelaide following that last incident with James.

Once she had finished, she waited, apprehensive, for him to make a comment. Eventually he did.

"I'm sorry to hear you've quarrelled with Campbell. Really, for a time I thought - "

"A quarrel, Robert? No - Oh! If only it were so simple as a quarrel. We shall never be friends again." She sighed, realising that it was the truth. She had been looking forward to seeing James again for so long, but after just two short encounters, she may never speak to him again. "But more importantly, are you not, then, opposed to my involvement in the WSPU?"

"Of course not, Anna, I support you! Don't you remember who told you find the Campbells all those months ago?"

"You knew, then?"

"Oh yes, although I found out quite by accident. As you've seen, Campbell isn't exactly eager to share such information."

"And how did he react, when you realised who his mother and sisters were?"

"He seemed frightened, more than anything," Robert said. "Made me swear not to say so much as a word of it to anyone, even you."

"Had you ever met his family before?"

He shook his head.

"You're disappointed," Robert remarked. She immediately began to contradict him but he held up a hand, interrupting her. "I do not blame you. I'm sure you expected better from someone such as Campbell."

"I didn't think he would have such a weakness," Anastasia conceded. James had always seemed so strong, considerate and amiable. There had been no flaws in his character.

Robert shrugged. "We all make mistakes, Anna."

"Oh yes, we all make mistakes. But we don't all cut off the people who love us, we aren't all ashamed of our families because they fight for what they believe," she snapped.

Robert looked taken aback. "I'm sorry this upsets you so. Perhaps-"

She shook her head. "No, no, Robert, I'm not upset by it anymore. You needn't worry yourself about me as you used to."

"Are you quite certain?"

"Quite."

Robert smirked. "We shall see..." He stifled a yawn. "So now one of us is fighting for the rights of the Indians in South America and the other is fighting for the rights of women. We both have a cause. Do you think that is a coincidence?"

Anastasia smiled. "No, Robert. I am quite sure it must be in our blood."

***

The fact that Robert had returned, combined with the knowledge that he was not against her suffragette activities, put Anastasia in a thoroughly good mood which lasted through to the following the day.

Though she had planned on going to Clement's Inn that day, Anastasia decided she would not, seeing her cousin approaching the house early in the morning. She was still in her bedroom, being dressed by Catherine. Upon seeing Robert she exclaimed in delight which prompted the maid to say,

"We're all very happy that Lord Fawley's come back. He was always very well liked downstairs; he is such a kind gentleman."

Anastasia agreed. "If sometimes a little too fond of making fun of my lack of ladylike qualities."

Catherine hid a smile. "What d'you suppose he's come back for, then?"

"He had some papers to look over with his solicitors, I believe," Anastasia replied, having a final glance in the mirror.

"Do you think he means to marry?"

Anastasia, her hand already on the door handle, stopped in shock. "Marry?" she repeated, dumbfounded. She shook her head. "No, I don't think so."

"I apologise, m'lady. I should not have asked you such a question."

"Don't apologise, Catherine, you may ask me anything you wish."

Catherine nodded and continued about her business; folding away Anastasia's clothes. Anastasia, however, did not leave the room, but instead remained there, looking thoughtful.

"It is strange to think that soon this shall be my room no longer," she said, taking in everything around her.

The maid stopped suddenly, looking up. "Oh! Has Lord Terbridge - "

"Lord Terbridge!" Anastasia cried. "No! I was referring to - " she broke off, realising that the servants were not aware of the family's financial difficulties. Certainly they had noticed there being only one footman now, and fewer maids than before, but they didn't remark on such things. Servants came and went all the time. "I - Never mind me, Catherine," she said and quickly fled the room.