Dance Your Heart Out

Reagan

 “I can’t believe you’ll be flying halfway across the country tomorrow. I’m gonna miss you.” Jewel said to me, as I finished packing my carry on.

“Oh my gosh. Please don’t start crying, Jewel. I had enough of that with my mom and the rest of the family yesterday.” I said to her as I noticed her sniffling.

“I can’t help it. You’re my best friend.” She said as the tears started to roll down her face.

“I’m only going to be gone for three weeks and then I’m coming right back. I ain’t leaving forever.” I said, pulling her in for a hug. She wiped away her tears after we pulled out of the hug.

“How’s Ricky taking it?” she asked. I settled on to the bed after zipping up my bag and grabbed the stuffed monkey that Ricky won for me.

“I mean, I know its bothering him but he refuses to be vocal about.” I said, playing with the monkeys’ ear.

“It must hurt. I know I can’t stand to be without Darren for a few hours let alone a few weeks.” She said with a giggle.

“Everybody keeps saying he same thing ….I’m willing to give it all up if that’s what he really wants but, he hasn’t told me to do it.” I told her.

“That’s real love right there, hun. But, I doubt that he would ever tell you to give up your dream. ” she told me.

“I know, I know.” I assured.

“Where are you going to be staying?” she asked. It was strange because I had never thought about that.

“You know, I’ve never really addressed that with Anthony. I assumed there would be a rental property available for me…. I really don’t know.” I told her.

“You better watch out before Anthony have you bunking with him.” She said with a laugh. I immediately scrunched up my eyebrows.

“Girl ain’t nobody thinking about Anthony in that way. There’s only one man for me and that’s Ricky Shaw.”  I informed her, confidently.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah.” She said with a giggle before her phone vibrated. “It looks like Darren is missing his wifey.  I gotta go girl. Make sure you call me when you land.” She said as she tackled me in a hug.

“I will, right after I call Ricky.” I told her.  I walked her to the door and watched her walked down to her car. As she pulled off, Ricky pulled up. I waited until he walked upstairs.

“Hey Schmoopie.”  I greeted him, holding my arms open. We literally hugged for five minutes.  I pulled away and looked him in his eyes before I pulled him in for a kiss.

“Are you hungry?” I asked him once we walked into the house and he settled on the couch.

“Nah. I don’t have much of an appetite.” He informed me. I took a seat next to him and soaked in silence for a moment.

“Ricky, if you don’t want me to go, I won’t go.” I told him finally.

“Who am I to stop you from accomplishing your dreams, babe?” he asked me.

“You’re my fiancée and what you think and how you feel matters.” I told him truthfully. “I don’t want to put a strain on our relationship, Ricky.”

He let out a long sigh. “It’s not going to necessarily put a strain in our relationship but it’s going to test the both of us. What’s a relationship without tests though?” he asked thoughtfully.

“True.” I responded simply.

-------

“Be safe, baby. Call me as soon as you land.” Ricky told me as we stood in the airport. It was then that I started to get emotional. I looked away from him and blinked back the tears that formed in my eyes.

“I don’t wanna go anymore, Schmoopie.” I whined, as the tears rolled down my face.

“You gotta follow your dreams, baby, or you’re gonna regret it.” He encouraged me. I nodded my head in response because I just couldn’t form my words. “Now stop all this crying. You seriously gon make me cry.” He said, wiping my tears off my face.

“I can’t help it, baby.” I said, sniffling. He pulled me in for tight hug.

“I love you so much, Reagan. Imma miss you.” He said to me.

“I’m going to miss you more.” I said, in a muffled voice.  Just as I said that, I overheard them announce that my flight was now boarding. The speed of my tears increased quickly.

“Don’t, baby. Please stop. Go dance your heart out Reagan.” He told me, as he softly pushed me toward the gate.

“I love you, Ricky.” I said, placing a final kiss on his lips before heading to the receiving gate. After I handed the lady my boarding pass, I turned around and saw the something that broke my heart into pieces.

I saw my baby, wiping away tears…..

*********

Is it okay for a man to cry?

Vote

Comment

Thanks