Where I Wanna Be

Reagan

“Rhythm is a dancer, I need a companion Girl I guess that must be you Body like the summer, f*cking like no other Don't you tell 'em what we do Don't tell 'em, don't tell 'em, you ain't even, don't tell 'em, don't tell 'em You ain't even, you ain't even gotta tell 'em, don't tell 'em, don't tell 'em You ain't even, don't tell 'em, don't tell 'em You ain't even, you ain't even gotta tell 'em Don't tell 'em, don't tell 'em”

  I frowned as I heard Poppa singing louder than the music itself.  He was in the process of setting up for the little kickback that he was having at our apartment and he was already turnt up. We downgraded his little event from a party to a kickback because of the size of our apartment. It’s risky but Ricky and I decided to have a little date night tonight while he threw his little get together. I had already informed the neighbors that the gathering would be going on so they were fully aware. The people in our building were mostly around Ricky and I’s age anyway so they really weren’t tripping.

“Poppa, come here!” I yelled over the music as I poked my head into the living room.

   A few of his friends had already arrived so I wanted to lay down the law once again before me and Ricky left for our date. He walked in as I was slipping on my last bracelet and Ricky was lacing up his shoes.

“Wassup, Rae.” He asked with the biggest smile on his face.

I knew he was hyped about his little kickback. I mean what sixteen year-old wouldn’t be?

“Now you remember what we went over. No drinking, no smoking weed or hookah pens, no fighting, no going into any of these bedrooms, no seven minutes in heaven and no hanging out the front door. If anything in here gets damaged or stolen remember that its’ coming out of your allowance.” I ran down to him. I felt like I was lecturing my own child.

“Gosh, Rae. I get it!” he said, rolling his eyes. I heard Ricky chuckle.

“Aye don’t get mad at me. I’m just tryna make sure that you hold it down while I’m not here. Do you want me here hawking over yo kickback or do you wanna hold it down independently and be responsible?” I asked him.

“Imma be responsible.” He said.

“Well good. Now come give me hug before we go.” I said opening my arms to him. Poppa tries to act hard but he’s gon always be my baby. He smiled as he walked over to me.

“Thanks for letting me have my kickback here.” He said as he smothered me in a hug before picking me up. Since he hit puberty he just keeps on growing. He’s almost taller than our dad.

“No problem. Now put me down.” I struggled to say through a laugh. When he put me down, I straightened my dress out and grabbed my clutch.

“One more thing, Poppa.” I called to him before he walked out the room. “Don’t get nobody pregnant.”

He straight closed the door in my face. Ricky fell out laughing.

“What’s so funny?” I asked him as I threw a pillow at him.

“Because you acting like his momma. Calm down baby. He know what he doing.” He said as he put the pillow back on the bed.

“Okay…okay…I’m done.” I said.

“You’re gonna make an amazing mommy to our kids one day.” He said as he pulled me in for a hug and kissed me.

     I didn’t respond because I didn’t really know how I felt about having kids. With both of us trying to have full-fledged careers, how could we ever enter a kid into the equation? I’m not trying to shoot the idea down completely, I just think that we need to think about it a little more. We need more time to establish ourselves before we think about kids.