Work it Out

Reagan

“Schmoopie, what’s wrong? You’ve been quiet ever since we got back from the party.” I questioned Ricky as I crawled into the bed with him, after the party. He was currently laying with his hands behind his head, staring up at the ceiling.

“Nothing.” He responded said.

“Ricky you’ve never lied to me before, don’t start now.” I told him clearly.

“You sitting here like something big ain’t just happen.”  He said.

“What are you talking about?” I asked him, seriously confused.

“The fact that you agreed to go to New York with some fool you barely know without talking to me about it first.” He stated.

“You’re the one always telling me to chase after my dreams. I didn’t think you would have a problem with me going to New York.” I told him truthfully.

“Nawww I wouldn’t have a problem with my fiancée, my right hand, the love of my life that has been right by my side for the last six years, going off to New York with some nigga.” He said sarcastically.

“So this is what this is about? You think Anthony is gonna try to get at me?” I asked him in disbelief. He rolled his eyes and shrugged his shoulders. “Why are you being so insecure Ricky? I never thought I’d see this day.” I said, shaking my head and standing up.

“Ain’t nobody insecure. I just don’t want my girl going off to New York-…” he started before I cut him off.

“So what?! You don’t want me to go?! Just say the words and I’ll call Anthony and tell him to find somebody else to give the opportunity of a lifetime to. But you know I find it funny, that I can sit back and support you in everything that you do but, the one time I need you to support me, you can’t do it.” I ran down to him.

“I ain’t running off half-way across the country without you though! You know what, forget it. Follow your dreams, Reagan. Do what you wanna do.” He said before walking out of our apartment. A few seconds later I heard the front door slam shut.

                            I stood there with my arms crossed as a single tear ran down my face. That was our first argument. I’ve never seen him be so mad before, well at least not at me. I pulled out my phone and called the only people that could help me.

“Hey mom. Can I come over?”….

-------

“Aww, Rae, don’t cry. He just needed to clear his head. He’ll be back.” My mom comforted me as I laid in their king sized bed with my head in her lap.

“Quit babying her, Joy. She’s a grown woman in a relationship. This is only a taste of the hardships of to come.” My dad, chastised my mom.