20: The Return

20: The Return

Present Day: The Mother of Invention (Primary freelancer facility/aircraft)

Shortly after the freelancers had reluctantly made the decision to let the Director lead them again, they found themselves aboard a pelican that was bound for the Mother of Invention. Considering the ship was supposed to have been decomissioned years ago, many of them were skeptical as to where they were actually going. That was until the M.o.I. came into view. The sight of it made Tex more than slightly uncomfortable; all she could think about was every bad thing that'd ever happened there. She'd never thought she'd be going back. Ever. And since the Director went ahead on a separate flight, she couldn't even question him as to how he'd gotten his hands on the thing again. Though, that might be a question she didn't want to know the answer to. The Director probably still had a lot of connections, and most of them couldn't be legal.

The pelican landed in the hangar a couple minutes later, and the hatch opened to reveal a familiar sight. There were multiple other pelicans lining each wall, and warthogs were parked in various places. Tex even spotted a tank or two. Not to mention the number of O.D.S.T. soldiers who already seemed to be occupying the place. It was almost as if Project Freelancer had never gone away. It was a haunting sight to take in.

The Director turned and faced them as they stepped off the pelican. "Welcome home, agents."

Carolina looked around. "Home. Right."

"I'd say I'd almost forgotten what this place looked like, but I'd be lying," York commented as he looked around.

"Your rooms are all still intact," the Director told them, then reluctantly shifted his attention to Church. "A room has been set up for you as well, private." He looked at everyone else again. "Take some time to get re-acclimated. I'll have F.I.L.S.S. let you all know when and where we'll be meeting to discuss our next move. You're dismissed."

With that, the Director walked off, leaving all of them just standing in the middle of the hangar. For a moment, no one moved. Everyone just stood there looking around, taking everything in. Tex still couldn't believe this was happening. After everything the Director had put them through, for some reason, they'd decided that letting him be in charge again was their best bet. And on top of that, they let him take them back to the one place that housed horrible memories for all of them. Were they so lost and broken that they didn't know the difference between right and wrong anymore? That they thought the past was a safety net?

"Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I think I'm gonna head to my room," Florida said before walking off.

"Ditto," South mumbled before following after him, sulking as she walked away.

One by one, everyone else started heading toward the barracks as well. Tex was one of the last ones to go, followed by Church. The only reason he was the absolute last person to start walking was because he had no idea where he was going. Poor idiot. He was really a fish out of water here. It almost made Tex feel bad for him.

Church eventually matched his pace with hers. "Ya know, I never realized how big this place actually was. How do you guys not get lost?"

Tex shrugged. "When you've lived here for years, it becomes as familiar as the back of your hand."

"Yeah, well, I'm used to being stuck in the small confines of a concrete base," Church stated. "I don't know where the fuck I'm going."

"I'm showing you where to go, moron," Tex told him. "I'd suggest you pay attention. I'm not gonna show you again."