5: Teams, Training, And Something Else Entirely

Present Day: The New Republic Headquarters (The planet Chorus)

"Look out! We're under attack!"

Those were the last things yelled before everything went to shit.

Washington and Sarge had been knocked unconscious, leaving the group without any sort of leadership. They were both out coldno signs of any movement. The group was getting hammered. Hard. The soldiers from the Federal Army that were storming in were too much for them. Even with the backup Felix had called in from the New Republic, they didn't stand a chance.

"Everyone, get to the caves! We gotta go!" Felix ordered, trying to wave everyone toward an opening in the rocks behind them.

"But what about Wash and Freckles?" Caboose asked.

"Quick; someone needs to help me carry Sarge!" Simmons yelled.

Suddenly, three New Republic soldiers in close proximity to them were gunned down. The other mercenary Locusappeared, his active camouflage deactivating. He was headed right for them. It didn't leave them much of another choice other than to run.

Felix kept trying to direct everyone to the caves. "There's no time! Everyone needs to move! Now!"

Grif grabbed ahold of Caboose as they made a break for it. "Caboose, come on! We gotta move!"

Everyone made a mad dash for the caves, running as fast as they possibly could to escape the incoming bullets. Felix used his hard light shield to try and give them some cover, but it didn't work the greatest. Their escape seemed to actually be somewhat successfulexcept for one problem. They were still missing three people. Three key people they needed.

Tucker stopped just inside the edge of the caves to catch his breath. "What are you doing?!" he questioned Simmons as he ran by. "Where's Wash?!"

"Still at the base! He and Sarge are both there!" Simmons answered, trying hard to catch his breath as well. "Donut's still out there, too!"

It was true. Looking back out into the mayhem, Tucker could see the two of them plainly. Wash was still unconscious, laying face down on the ground. He kept watching, trying to see if there'd be an opportunity for him to run back out and grab Wash and Sarge. Donut was a bit further away, but getting him wasn't impossible. Just as Tucker was about to run back out, he saw Wash getting up. He was hurtingbad. Tucker could tell by the slowness in his movements.

"Wait, look!" Tucker yelled, pointing toward him. "He's getting up! Wash! Wash, c'mon! We're over here!"

"We gotta seal the tunnel!" Felix ordered, ignoring the fact they still had men out there and that Wash was getting up.

Looking back out, Tucker noticed Wash wasn't making any move to try and come with them. He just knelt there, looking around at all the dying New Republic soldiers he was surrounded by. His gaze stopped on Sarge, who was still out cold on the ground a few feet away from him. After a couple seconds, he looked toward all of the men in the tunnel, then over to Freckles. Tucker couldn't tell what he was doing. Was he thinking clearly?