38: Bring It Down

38: Bring It Down

Present Day: Location Of The Radio Jammer (The planet Chorus)

Tucker wasn't sure how everything had been going for the freelancers, but things were going pretty well for him and the guys. Well, at least by their standards it was. The pirates who'd been after them were easier to fool than he'd thought they would be. Granted, they'd all spent a fair amount of time hiding and then ambushing the pirates. It was a bit of a lame strategy, Tucker had to admit that. But it was still working. They'd been completely kicking ass on their own. It sure didn't seem to him like they needed the freelancers around at all.

Within an adequate time frame — to put it like Wash would have — they managed to have all the pirates either knocked out or killed. Once they'd finished, the group all gathered in a more central area. It didn't seem like there was anyone else around now. As happy as Tucker wanted to be, he couldn't quite shake the feeling that something was off. It was too quiet now. Where had everyone else gone?

"Well, that seemed like it was easy enough," Sarge stated as he looked around. "Guess those pirates ain't as tough as they make themselves out to be after all."

"Yeah, okay," Simmons said a bit sarcastically. "I'd just like to point out that it took three of us to take down a single space pirate at one point. It was like trying to take down a gorilla. Or the Meta."

Dr. Grey nodded in agreement. "That's very true. I don't think I've ever seen grown men attempt that strategy before. Not to mention be so . . . mildly effective with it."

Grif looked at Simmons then. "You just had to ruin our rare moment of victory by telling the truth, didn't you? Why would you do that to us?"

"At this point, I'd say that's okay. Ruining a temporary victory moment is the least of our worries right now," Church said. "I don't think we're out of the woods and in the clear just yet."

"What do you mean?" Tucker asked. The bad feeling he'd been having suddenly got worse at his friend's words. "There hasn't been anymore space pirates coming. And we already took care of the ones that came after us. What else could there be?"

"Listen real close; there's no more sounds coming from where the freelancers were," Church pointed out. "Not to mention no one has come to check on us. That's a bad sign. So, to answer your question of what else there could be, the answer is easy. We'll still have to worry about Locus and Felix."

All the guys fell silent and listened for a moment. The whole place was utterly silent. Tucker thought he could hear faint talking, but he wasn't fully sure. It had almost sounded like Wash and . . . Locus. But other than the two of them, there were no other voices. What could have happened to everyone else? They couldn't have died, could they? The freelancers were better fighters than that, weren't they?

Suddenly, the sound of footsteps could be heard nearing their location. But only one set.

"Someone's coming. We need to get out of sight," Church said as he looked around. He stopped abruptly and started heading for a tunnel. "This way. We can all hide in here."

Everyone followed after him, piling into the small space. The initial opening was small, and they were all practically on top of each other. The tunnel itself looked like it went back quite a ways, and it seemed to split off in a few different directions. There was also a ladder leading to hatch up above their heads. It had to be a tunnel system for use in case of ambushes. Which was smart, but it also left a lot of openings for people to get in from various directions. The only reason Tucker wasn't worried about that possibility was because all the other space pirates had been taken care of. And if Wash was keeping Locus busy, then the only one left to worry about was Felix.