35: Multiple Choice

35: Multiple Choice

Present Day: Abandoned Fueling Station (The planet Chorus)

"Ow! My ears!" Donut whined. "My poor sensitive ears! That was uncalled for!"

Carolina ground her teeth together at the sound of the voice on the radio. Just when it seemed like things had calmed down for the time being, something else always happened. It was a never ending vicious cycle that she desperately wanted to break. But that didn't seem like it'd be a possibility anytime soon.

"Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen," Felix said over the radio. "This is your captain speaking. And boy, do I have the deal of a lifetime to offer you all."

Grif looked at Simmons then. "You just had to say something, didn't you, jackass?"

Church moved to stand next to Carolina. "What would Felix want with us now?" he asked. His mic had to be muted. "Nothing he offers us could be good. Or it'll come at a really high price. I don't like this."

"Hey, you fucking asshole," Tucker spat at the mercenary. "None of us are interested in whatever shit you're selling. So don't even try."

"Oh, but Tucker, you didn't let me finish," the mercenary said. "In a special one time only offer, you've all been upgraded to first class — on the only flight off of Chorus. You sure any of you still aren't interested?"

"I gotta admit, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little bit interested," Simmons commented.

"What exactly are you trying to play at here, Felix?" Carolina demanded harshly.

"Whoa, hey, easy now sweetheart," Felix cautioned. "I understand how exciting this must be for all of you. But I can also tell that you don't quite believe me. So, in order to further prove my honesty, I'm gonna hand the mic over to my partner so he can explain all the details."

"It's about time you all understood the futility of your current situation," Locus stated. "We know where you're holding up. We're well aware that you have one final teleportation grenade in your possession. And we also know that you have the coordinates to a particularly important radio jammer. Which is why my partner and I happen to be contacting you from its location. So make no mistake — you will not be interfering with today's events."

"Says you," Tucker fired back. "It just so happens that we're all the champions of interfering with shit."

Locus continued, seeming unphased by the interruption. "As we speak, the armies of Chorus are preparing to converge on the Capital. The battle that will ensue is guaranteed to be utterly catastrophic. If it was ever your goal to save the people of this planet, know that you have failed. However, you still have the opportunity to save yourselves."

"What does that mean?" Wash asked. "Why spare us?"

"Once the idiots at the Capital are all dead, you guys will be the only loose ends left to tie up," Felix explained. His words made Dr. Grey look at the ground in silence. "Considering you annoying bastards disabled our tracking device, and also have the ability to teleport anywhere on Chorus your hearts desire, it creates a bit of a problem for us. Which is why Control is offering to make this deal."

"Control? Who's that?" South wondered quietly, exchanging glances with CT, who shrugged in response.

From the corners of her vision, Carolina saw York and most of the others shrug or shake their heads. She also noticed that the Reds and Blues seemed really absorbed in what the mercenaries were saying. Tucker not so much, but the others definitely were. They couldn't honestly be considering the offer, could they? Not after everything the mercenaries had done to fuck with them. Then again, they were idiots. If they saw a way out with no conflict, they were going to want to take it. But the offer had to be a trick.