7: Memories, Raids, And Unexpected Guests

Present Day: Abandoned(?) F.A.C. Munitions Plant (The planet Chorus)

Epsilon sat idly in Carolina's storage unit, watching a rather depressing scene play out in front of him. For the last two hours, he'd done nothing but replay old video logs for Carolina. He hated when she was in a mood like this. Her mind always ended up clouded as old memories were dredged up from the deeper parts of her mind. And when her mind got clouded, so did her judgment. She made a lot more mistakes coming fresh out of one of her down moods. It made for a lot more work on his part; trying to constantly make sure he could be five steps ahead of her to keep her alive took a lot out of him. But unfortunately, there wasn't a lot Epsilon could do to get Carolina to snap out of it. When she got in a mood, she was in a mood for a good while.

Epsilon usually took these times to reflect on how he'd ended up in his current position. He used to be known as Leonard Church. Though, no one had ever really called him Leonard. Most people had just called him Church. Before that, he had been known as the Alpha. And before that, he had been known as the Director. But no one had called him that in a really, really long time. At this point, he just went by Epsilon. He remembered back to when he was the leader of Blue Team back at Blood Gulch. He also remembered being team killed by Caboose, and how that set things in motion that none of them would've ever thought possible. He recalled all the misadventures, entering the memory unit to go after Tex. Being retrieved from the memory unit and brought back to take down the Director. Then crash landing on Chorus and eventually leaving with Carolina and traveling with her as her A.I. unit.

All of that brought things full circle back to the present. Story of his life. Literally.

Epsilon preferred his former theory of being a mother fucking ghost. Shit was a lot less complicated back then.

"How much longer are you going to watch these old logs?" Epsilon asked, appearing next to Carolina's head. "You've been at it for two hours already. It's starting to give me a headache. That shouldn't even be possible."

"Just give me a little bit longer," Carolina answered, her voice quiet. "I just . . . I needed to watch them again."

He sighed. "You can't keep doing this to yourself, C. It's not healthy. And watching these recordings isn't going to help. It won't bring him back. I should know. I spent more than enough time trying to chase a ghost."

Carolina looked down, the hologram still playing out one of the old journal entries. "I know doing this won't bring him back. If I learned anything from my father, it was that trying to bring a memory back to life destroys you in the end. But that doesn't mean I can't hold on to the memories. Keep them as reminders."

"There's nothing wrong with reminders. The guy was your right-hand man for basically the whole time you were in Project Freelancer. It makes sense that you miss him," he told her.

"He was more than just my go to guy in the field. And he was more than just my teammate. York was the closest friend I ever had. He was always there when I needed him. And how did I repay him? I stabbed him in the back instead of just listening to him. All because I let my jealousy get in the way. York would've been my one shot at getting out. To put this life behind me and start over. And I just threw that all away," she said, staring at the now paused hologram of a soldier in tan and white armor.

Epsilon closed the old video logs, then moved himself so he was in front of Carolina. "Look, I know you feel like shit because of what you did to York. But that's why I tell you not to really watch those old logs. Especially when there's a job to do. I understand you were in one of your moods. But now it's time to push those thoughts out of your head."