seven

One night, Lysander decided to take Agnes out after curfew

One night, Lysander decided to take Agnes out after curfew. She didn't know how to feel about sneaking out, but he reassured her they wouldn't get caught. He led her to the Whomping Willow.

"Lysander, what are we doing here?" she asked.

Her voice never failed to shock him. He was still getting used to it, but he enjoyed the sound of her voice.

"Now, when I show you them, don't freak out," he advised.

"Freak - Why would I freak out?"

Lysander led her further to the Whomping Willow.

"Um - "

"Come here," he ordered.

She listened to him, taking slow steps to stand by his side. Lysander glanced at her before bending over and reaching his hand out toward a hole in the tree. He clicked his tongue and rubbed his index finger and thumb together. Slowly, a Bowtruckle stepped out and placed its hand on Lysander's fingers.

"This is Pickett. I named him after the Bowtruckle who always traveled with my great-grandfather," explained Lysander. "Where are the others, Pickett?"

Pickett turned around and called out to the other Bowtruckles. Slowly, they all walked out, making it six in total.

"How did you find them?" Agnes asked.

Lysander shrugged. "Scamander blood. Added to that would be Lorcan and I's amazing curiosity."

She chuckled. "Can I..."

"Oh! Yeah, just slowly stick your finger out. They'll be wary at first, but since you're here as my guest, they may touch your fingers."

She stuck her index finger out and patiently waited. One Bowtruckle chattered amongst his friends before stepping forward to place a hand on Agnes's finger.

"Thank you, Newt," said Lysander.

"Newt?"

"Yeah, thought I'd name him after my great-grandfather."

"Why did you bring me here?" Agnes asked as Newt began to climb onto her finger.

"I heard from Harmony you liked animals. I thought Bowtruckles would apply, even though they're more of insect-like creatures," he explained. He got up and brushed his hands onto his pants. He beckoned Agnes with his hand. "Come on, let's go back. It's getting late."

She nodded and set Newt down before getting up. She stared at his hand.

"Oh - right. Sorry, Agnes." He dropped his hand. "I don't want you to get a cold. Let's go."

She pursed her lips before reaching forward and grabbing his hand. He stared at her shock. Agnes was starting to get uncomfortable underneath his stare, so she took the lead, holding his hand the whole way.