six

Agnes looked around in awe

Agnes looked around in awe. There was a family of five Diricawls. She absolutely loved creatures of all sorts.

The Diricawl - also known as the Dodo Muggles - was a plump, fluffy-feathered and flightless magical bird, native to the island of Mauritius in the Indian Ocean. While Muggles believed this bird to be extinct, in reality, it existed and had the ability to disappear and reappear elsewhere as a means of escaping danger, similar to Apparation, while Muggles remain unaware. The International Confederation of Wizards had not seen fit to reveal that the animal still existed since it seemed to have raised Muggle awareness of the consequences of slaying their fellow creatures indiscriminately.

During the 1989-1990 school year, Professor Kettleburn taught his sixth-year students in Care of Magical Creatures class how to handle these birds, and Hagrid decided to do the same.

"Now, I want you to pair up and see if you can name all of a Diricawl's body parts," instructed Hagrid.

Apollo, with intentions of pairing up with Agnes, walked over to her, only to be stopped by Lorcan who accidentally fell on him.

"Sorry 'bout that, mate," apologized Lorcan.

"It's all right, Scamander."

Apollo looked up to see that Lysander chose Agnes as his partner. Now, he had an inkling that Lorcan didn't fall on accident.

"How good are you with Diricawl body parts?" asked Lysander.

Agnes smiled. "Pretty good," she softly replied.

Lysander froze in getting out a piece of parchment. She had just talked to him - for the first time. He didn't know what to do or how to react. His body and brain were frozen.

"Lysander?" Agnes called out.

He snapped out of it and looked at her. "Um - you just talked to me."

She nodded. "Is that all right?"

He smiled in relief. "Of course. It's bloody all right!" he exclaimed. "Sorry, I just - you only ever talked to Rae and Tolliver."

"Well, I've known them for a long time now. And I just - I feel comfortable enough with you to talk."

He nodded. "Right. That's great. Uh - we should get to work."