10 - Remembering

bam, chapter, whoo!

__________________________

Two years ago…

               I screamed out in laughter as Noah practically dragged me to Malcolm’s car. The air was cold, a layer of fresh snow covered the ground as more fell in beautiful flakes. But the snow didn’t interest me now. Only alcohol did.

               “Come’on, Mel! Malcolm’s going to drive us to my house. I figured you wouldn’t want to fucking walk home with that dress on in freezing weather!” Noah exclaimed and then smiled before taking another sip of the beer he had in his hand.

               I rolled my eyes and gave him a huge hug. “What a hero!”

               Suddenly, a car squealed in front of us, the tired stopping abruptly earning puffs of smoke to show in the dark sky. I grinned when I saw Malcolm in the driver’s side and I jumped in the passenger seat, looking at him with my signature seductive look that everyone and their mother knew about.

               “Thank you so much for bringing us home, Malcolm,” I raised an eyebrow at him and leaned over the slightest bit. I watched his eyes wander down and through my drunken mind, I couldn’t help but feel a wave of success flow over me that a senior was looking at me like this.

               “No problem,” he slurred. I didn’t realize just how drunk he was then, hell, he was probably even more drunk than I was and that was completely wasted. “Just promise you’ll pay me back, Evans.”

               “Of course. I’ll do whatever you want,” I winked, and I heard Noah snort from the backseat before Malcolm backed out and sped over the speed limit on the snowy roads, drunk out of his mind.

               Getting into that car was the worst decision I had ever made, drunk or not.

               I turned on the music as loud as it could go and started belting out the chorus to some song while the guys laughed at me. I didn’t notice that Malcolm couldn’t drive straight and was going through both lanes when he drove. I didn’t notice that he spent more time looking at my chest than looking at the road. No, I didn’t notice any of those things. It was three AM and honestly, I expected no normal person to be on the roads at that time.

               The radio turned to some other song whose lyrics I didn’t know so I pouted before turning to Malcolm.

               “Wasn’t that such an amazing party tonight? I’m sorry we had to cut it short for you, though,” I put my hand on his leg and I saw him smirk under the light of the moon. “Noah is just too big of a loser to stay the whole night.”

               “Hey!” I heard my best friend protest from the back before a huge burp escaped his mouth. The thing sent us all in giggles and it wasn’t even that funny. I was laughing so hard that my sides were starting to hurt.

               I was laughing too hard to realize that we ran through a red light and we T-boned an incoming car.

               My head swung forward hard. Luckily, I was still facing Malcolm and because I wasn’t wearing my seatbelt, I was flung out and hit the windshield with my hip, making it break. I flew out onto the hood of the car and fell, hitting the street hard. I heard screams from inside ours, a feminine sobbing in the car we hit which was soon replaced with a gurgle before it all went silent.