30 - Graduating

the new cover is made by the AMAZING xsnowberryx :)

Hey! 

So if you don't know why it's been so long since I've updated, then PLEASE check out the AN in the last chapter. I'm still so so soooo sorry about that, but I'm back now! 

_______

It was kind of funny, really.

                I mean, we wait for this moment for our entire lives. Well, at least since we begin hating school. Yet, here I—we—are, all sitting her in our caps and gowns, listening to the lame and overused speeches, and itching for the moment where we can throw our caps into the air and know that we are finally done.

                Now what am I talking about?

                None other than graduation day.

                It was bittersweet, definitely. I know I would see most of these people after today and that’s fine just as long as I still can be in contact with my friends. All of us were going different places so keeping in touch would be hard. Thank goodness for technology, though, because video calls would undeniably be in my future.

                Brenden was heading out to join the military in a few weeks following today. It was a generational thing, as his brothers, dad, and grandfather were all in the service as well. I know that he really wants to do this too, and he’s not just joining because he feels like he has to. He wants to serve his country proudly and come home a hero. Due to this, he has to go through training during the summer months, so time with him is getting down to the last wire.

                Allyson was heading only to the next state over to get a degree in teaching. She loves children and everything about them. She was also that annoying kid in class who would always correct the teacher when they said a simple thing wrong. Teaching is the right of passage for her and she got decent amount of financial aid at the college she will be attending in the fall.

                Sam was sticking close to home. After the death of his mom, he wasn’t comfortable leaving his sister and dad behind while he went to school. There’s an in-state college only a half hour or so away from his house so he’ll be able to go to school and still be with his family.

                Then there’s Noah… My best friend was accepted into his dream college. He’s been fawning over a school on the west coast ever since we were kids and when he was offered a sports scholarship there, he had to take it. He was hesitant at first, but after being convinced that this was the offer of his dreams, he obviously took it. And I’m proud of him. He’s still grieving over Holly, he probably always will, and he deserves this so much.

                Now, you may be asking, what about me? I was convinced that I wouldn’t be going to a university due to my financial needs. I would be attending classes at the local community college like my sister, earning money by working to hopefully transfer to a four year school later on. However, last month I was offered a full ride scholarship to a school on the east coast for my ‘academic achievements and my outstanding place in the school’ as said in the letter. I’m not looking forward to leaving my family behind, especially since Caleb cried for a long time when I told him about it, but I’m excited to get the education that I’ve worked my ass off for—

                “Melody Evans,” my name echoed throughout the school’s auditorium and I slightly jumped. Here I was, so completely lost in my thoughts, that I had almost forgotten where I was.

                Standing, I walked up and received my diploma from my principal, posed for a lame photo, and listened to the recognizable screaming that could only be done by my family and friends… namely Noah.