Thirty-Four

Day 44

George, technically I am done with Operation 45D.  However, it just feels right to continue writing about the 45 days, despite finishing early.  After this, you have one page left, and I just don’t know what I’m going to do without you.  I feel like you have so much more potential that this, and it’s sad to think that you’ll eventually end up in the attic, full of my documentation of Operation 45D that no one will ever read unless I take you out one day for nostalgia’s sake.

“Still writing in George?” Breton asked, barging into my room after school.

“George,” I read aloud as I wrote, “I have found a new thing to add to the list.  Breton must be taught manners.”

The annoying boy paid my words no attention, instead coming over to sit next to me on my bed, resting his head on my shoulder as he gave me a one arm hug.

“George,” Breton narrated, “I am bored.”

“You don’t need to tell George that,” I said, “he’s a journal, he can’t hear you.”

“How do you know he’s a he?” Breton wondered idly.

“Magic.”  I looked up from George and made a face at my friend.

“Come on Georgie, let’s do something!” he whined.

“Like what?” I asked, closing my journal and setting the pen aside.

He thought about it, sitting up and looking around my room.  Eventually, he spotted my laptop, which seemed to give him an idea.

“Let’s make a YouTube video!” he said excitedly, going over to the portable computer and bringing it back to me.

“Sure!” I agreed, logging into the laptop and clicking to open YouTube.  “What will we make it about?”

Breton paused.  “I guess we’ll just wing it,” he finally said.

“Works for me,” I shrugged.  “Are we going to use my account, or yours?  Or should we make a new one?”

“We’ll use mine,” he told me.  “Making a new one means a new email to check.”  I passed the computer to him so he could log in, and then he set it on my bessie table, opening the camera and setting it to video.

“Ready?” he asked, looking back at me.

“Sure,” I answered, nodding to him.

Breton clicked record, and sat down in the three seconds the timer gave him.

3,2,1…go!

“Hey world, I’m Breton, and this is Georgie,” Breton announced.

“Hi,” I waved.

“Today we are going to…” Breton stopped and looked around, “we are going to read Georgie’s journal to you!”  He grabbed George and waved it in front of the camera.

“We are?” I asked.

“You are,” he nodded.  “I am going to comment on each entry.”

I frowned, looking at him in confusion.

“I have a plan,” he told me softly, “trust me.”

So I opened George up to the first page and began to read.  As I read, Breton told me - and the internet - what he thought about the events that happened.  For the first time, I got to hear all of Breton’s thoughts about Operation 45D, all the way from the beginning to this point, me reading it all.

“She’s a little crazy,” Breton said when I finished talking, about an hour later.  “She’s naive, very unobservant.  She’s funny, and small, and beautiful, smart and kind.  She’s compassionate, and fierce.