Sixteen

“Fancy seeing you here,” I chuckled nervously and avoided eye contact with everyone in the room, instead studying my surroundings.  Upon discovering me, Peter had immediately ordered me to the front door, letting me in and leading me down a short hallway to the room they were occupying.  I looked around at everything in curiosity, but still knew I was in hugetrouble.  

SOS please someone save me, it’s not healthy, for me to be here now! I sang in my head, slightly changing the lyrics.  At least, I think it was only slightly.

I received blank stares in response to my polite greeting.  “Alright fine then.  It’s not nice to see you either.  And I lied earlier!  There’s nothing fancy about seeing you here!”

“Why were you spying on us?” Peter asked.

“You guys were being all suspicious!  The real question is why wasn’t I spying on you?” I argued.

“No Georgie, that’s not the question at all.”  Dallas spoke to me like I was a small child.  I had noticed a slight change in his personality since I accidentally spilled his secret and it worried me.  From Breton’s glare towards Dallas, I’m assuming I wasn’t the only one who noticed the difference.

“Well excuse me Dallas, for being slightly immature and confused.  It might be because I’m bullied and that caused lots of stress.  It could also be because trying to stop from killing myself exerted a lot pressure on my mind and so I resorted to being happy-go-lucky and immature to deal with the life I was given in the hopes that it would get better.  But what do I know, I’m just a stupid girl.  So why don’t you tell me?”

Silence.  I was breathing deeply, shaking my head.  I’m okay, I’m okay, I’m okay, I chanted to myself over and over.  After a few minutes, I breathed out all the negative thoughts and looked back to the guys, who had stayed quiet.

“Sorry for freaking out on you,” I apologized to Dallas.  “School and everything has been really stressful.”  I smiled and looked around at my friends, then realized they all looked sick.  My smile dropped as I asked if they were okay.

“Y-y-you thought of k-killing yourself?” Breton croaked.  Looking down at my feet, I took another deep breath before responding.

“Only once or twice.  I called a help line and they really helped me see that I’ve only lived a fraction of my life, and that if I had killed myself I would miss all the good things that were due to happen in the years to come.  And I’m really glad I listened because now I’ve got friends, my bullies have left me alone, and my senior year is looking incredibly bright.”  

I forced a few more breaths through my lungs before glancing up; right in time to see Breton’s fist smashing into Peter’s face.

“OH MY GOSH!” I shrieked.  “What are you doing?”  

Peter was now on the floor, and Breton was punching his cousin’s face repeatedly.

“You jerk…what is wrong with you…I could kill you…your fault…” Breton was ranting to Peter, but I only caught bits and pieces.

“Breton!  Breton!”  Calling his name didn’t even make Breton flinch as I looked around trying to find a way to stop the punches.  Peter wasn’t even trying to fight back.  His face looked pretty damaged by now and I was getting desperate.  “BRETON WHATEVER-YOUR-MIDDLE-NAME-IS JOEL YOU GET AWAY FROM YOUR COUSIN RIGHT NOW!”  I yelled as loud as I could.  Breton’s fist hung in the air for a moment before falling back onto Peter’s face.

“What should I do, what should I do?” I spoke to myself, turning round in circles trying to find something.  Aha!  “Dallas, go stop Breton!”