Twenty-Three

“First things first, I’m the realist,” I chanted as I dashed through the hallways of my small high-school, looking for a certain someone.  “Talk to Peter ‘bout his secrets, make ‘im spill it.”

George, I remembered that although the air is significantly clearer between Peter and I, I still need to have a chat with him about any secrets he may still be hiding.  Such as the secret of his father, Scary Voice Man.

Day 24.  Mission: Talk to Peter about his dad.

Finally, I spotted my prey.  Peter was standing next to his locker, putting books away.  ‘Haha, that rhymed!’ I thought.  ‘Okay Georgie, now remember to approach this subject gently.’

“Hey Peter, is your dad a murderer?  Is he trying to kill Breton?  Ooh, is he a mafia boss, or a crime lord?” I asked loudly as I leaned against the locker next to his.  Since I’m assuming he knowns about my operation to save Breton, I didn’t have any explaining to do about my questions.  Except for maybe explaining why I suspect his dad, but Peter doesn’t really need to know that.

“Gah!” he cried, dropping one of his books on the ground.  As he stood up, he asked, “Why are you here so early?”

“Breton gave me a ride again.  We’re early because he wanted to hang with his homies.”

“His friends, you mean,” Peter laughed.

“Yeah.  His friends, homies, peeps, amigos, same thing!”

“Oh, cool.  So… are going to go hang out with them too?” Peter asked me.

“Sure.  After you tell me about your dad, and what he has to do with Breton.”  ‘Point to me for staying on task,’ I added mentally.

“Fine.  My dad is involved in some…illegal sales.  I’m not sure what.  Last year, Breton and I wanted some money to spend.  So we worked for my dad for a little bit.  Mostly loading up shipments, he kept us away from the really illegal stuff.  The thing is, we didn’t realize his business was illegal.  As soon as we found out, we quit.  He’s been trying to get Breton back to work for him.  Apparently, he doesn’t want me, in order to keep me out of jail,” Peter explained reluctantly.

“Why would your dad be calling Breton?” I demanded to know.

“Brett refuses to go back to work.  My dad has taken to calling him,” sighed Peter.  “Is that all?  This isn’t a topic I like.”

“Sorry, Pete.  I just needed to know.  Assess potential threats and all that,” I apologized.

“What’ve you got so far?” he asked.

“Let me write it down for you,” I said.  “I’ve got to get to class, so I’ll see you at lunch, okay?”  He nodded, and we parted ways.

“Here’s what I’ve got so far,” I began later that day, handing Peter a piece of paper over the table.  

Today was a Wednesday, meaning almost everyone was eating off campus at some fast-food restaurant or another.  Breton and Hayley invited us out to eat with them and the rest of the squad, but Peter and I declined.  

Meanwhile, Dallas and Lucas were going out on a lunch date.  I had asked Dallas earlier how his talk with his parents went.  He shrugged, said it was good, and hugged me.  I think that means everything is okay.

I looked at Peter, who was looking at the paper.

Georgie’s Operation Notes (the important ones, anyway):