Twenty

Hooo boy George, have I got a lot to tell you.  Before I start gossiping though, I should get the important stuff out of the way.

Operation 45D:

Today is Day 23.  Slightly over 20 days left, and I still have no idea what I’m doing.  Go me!

I now have two partners in crime.  Dallas, if he’s still helping me (he’s been acting weird lately), and Peter.  I don’t know what made Peter change his mind about the “stay away from my cousin, he doesn’t need your help” thing, and we didn’t really bring it up during our chat.  I’ll have to ask him later today.

Breton still shows no signs of suspicion, so I don’t think he knows I’m supposed to be saving him.  In the meantime, we’ve gotten closer.  I don’t think I like him as more than a friend, but he’s cute and nice, really nice, and he listens to me, and likes me (if Peter and Dallas are telling the truth anyway).

Okay, I can’t take it anymore.  Gossip time!  Remember when someone wrote on my table, and I was sooooo mad, because what sort of monster does that to a table, and then I forgot about it, mostly?  Well, Peter wrote on it!  Because he wanted to talk about his “feelings for me”.  That’s right.  Peter Joel had a crush on me!  What a weirdo.  Anyway, I learned this during lunch, and right now school’s almost over and I’m sitting in study hall.  

Oh, Peter said more too, but it’s not really important because it’s forgiven and forgotten.  The main thing is he liked me.  Ha!  Both of the Joel boys have liked me at one point or another.  (Obviously, they need a doctor.)  I think when this is over, I’m going to activate a new operation.  Operation Cupid, to be exact.

(It’s a long story George, and I don’t have time to explain.  I’ll tell you later.)

Here comes Breton.  I need to ask him for a favor.  TTYL, George.

I closed George and stood as Breton approached, trying to casually dust off my bottom and thighs while holding a notebook-slash-journal.

“Hey Breton!” I greeted him cheerfully.

“Georgie,” he replied with a nod.  “Am I taking you home today?”

“Actually, if you don’t mind, yeah.  I was just gonna ask you.  Normally, I like walking, but Dallas needs a favor tonight, and I need to ask my mom and then get to Dallas’ quickly.”

“So…you want me to drive you home, them to Dallas’ house?”  Breton looked confused.

“No!  Sorry, just home is fine.  Lucas is picking me up to bring me to Dallas’ house, because we’re supposed to be brother and sister for a night, which is weird.  It all makes sense when Dallas explained it though.  I’m going to pretend to be Dallas’ girlfriend while his boyfriend is going to pretend to be my brother.  That way Dallas and his boyfriend can have dinner with Dallas’ family, and his parents won’t freak out.  He hasn’t come out of the closet yet.

“Speaking of which, isn’t it weird that it’s a closet?  Like, what does the closet have to do with anything?  It’s literally just a closet.  The phrase could probably be something like ‘come out of the cupboard’ or ‘come out of the drawer’ or just ‘reveal your sexuality’.  Oh!  Is it because closets are people-sized?  Because that would make sense.  Don’t you think?”  I looked at Breton.  His eyes were closed and the expression on his face told me that he was either trying not to laugh or praying for patience.  Maybe a little bit of both.  My mom used to have that look all the time.

I wasn’t even doing anything, really.  She would just get really fed up with me.

“Mom!  Hey Mom!  Can I have a sucker?  Not one of the unicorn suckers, but a dummy sucker?  Please Mom?” four-year-old Georgie asked.