23

Taylor pulls up in an unfamiliar driveway and she stares at her phone again to make sure she's in the right address and that Google Maps hadn't just had her waste gas after miles and miles of driving. But this must be it because there were also multiple cars parked alongside hers.
Taylor steps out breathes the fresh air filling her nostrils, the area was secluded and covered with high superlative trees. She felt tiny as she made her way to the steps, and mentally curses Jasmine as she eyes terraces leading up to her destination. She wishes she hadn't worn heels.

Truthfully Taylor had been a bad friend. After graduation night six years ago, she had completely ghosted everyone. She took the first plane out to Stanford to begin her early program in the university. It was a last minute decision but her parents were more than happy to send her away. Well, they were really just happy she was eager to get to college as soon as possible at least that's the reason they thought it was.

Jasmine miraculously found her one night a year ago in a quaint coffee shop outside of town, Taylor was buried in medical books on her fourth brew of the night. Even with her ridiculous nerdy glasses, Jas had noticed her. Jas had yelled excitedly, acting like she had finally found one of her long lost treasures, earning disapproving glares from the other people planning an all nighter in the 24 hour shop. Obviously she didn't care about spiteful words thrown her way. She was just happy to see Taylor, it had been six years.

After Jas had toned down her excitement and grabbed the free seat across from Taylor she didn't spare her any of the cursing and badmouthing about how horrible she is to cut her out like that. The very next day it was as if those six years were long gone, they went back to how they used to be. That meaning Jas forcing her to go out late at night while Taylor would refuse every opportunity she could.

And now here she was on Jasmine's engagement party. She had warned Taylor she was going to be inviting a few people they used to go to school with, and Taylor had already known what she meant. But she wasn't going to blow Jas off on her engagement party over things that happened many years ago.

The venue was beautiful, it was a modern garden space and whoever designed it had surely outdone themselves. There were lush patches of greenery and grid-like walkways to cross over the waterfront property. Taylor smoothens out her form-fitting white lace dress that fell a couple of inches above her knees and clutches her handbag nervously. Okay so maybe she wasn't ready to see everyone.

It was too late to go back now, Jas had spotted her.

"You look like you're about to run out any moment now," Jas states as a matter-of-factly. "Do I have to handcuff you to one of the chairs?"

"Nope, I'll be good." Taylor promises and embraces Jas tightly. "I can't believe you're engaged. How does anyone want to marry you?" She jokes and Jas elbows her in the rib.

"Ow! Where's your fiancé?" Taylor asks as she looks around for Matthew. Yes, Jas had ended up not marrying Oliver. It hadn't worked out.

Taylor's eyes roam around in search of the man in question but her eyes narrow in on a table near the champagne where she sees two people she had thought she would never see again. She freezes and feels a soft lurch in her chest. Romee is beautiful as ever in her two piece strapless white dress. She is an angel in the garden but she is enough to make Taylor's heart stop – she is also a killer. Laurens is smiling right beside her, his arms wrapped around her tiny waist as they pose for a picture. Another girl is in the frame, she's one of Jasmine's friends too. She's seen her in some pictures. But other than that, wow.

"Wow, they're still together." Taylor is quick to cover up the bitterness in her voice but Jas notices it. "That's great!"

"Babe! Come say hi, and Taylor glad you could make it."