EIGHTEEN

"The mere suggestion that the Queen's brother tried to kill your boy would be considered treason." Littlefinger said. My mother had just confessed that it was Tyrion Lannister who sent the assassin. At least, she believed it to be.

"We have proof. We have the blade." My mother objected.

"Which Lord Tyrion will say was stolen from him. The only man who could say otherwise has no throat, thanks to your boy's wolf."

I shook my head with a sigh. "As much as I hate to say it, Lord Baelish is right; he can deny it in an instance. There are too many risks." I eyed the sly man to my right. "But what I don't see is why we should even believe a word he says."

"Petyr has promised to help us find the truth." My mother said, reaching up and placing a hand on my upper arm, causing me to turn and look at her. "He's like a little brother to me. He would never betray my trust."

Petyr nodded, agreeing with what the woman had said. "I'll try to keep you alive, for her sake." He said to my father. "A fool's task, admittedly, but I've never been able to refuse your wife anything."

As Littlefinger turned to leave the room, my mother's voice stopped him. "I won't forget this. You're a true friend."

"Don't tell anyone." The man said. "I have a reputation to maintain."

•~•

My mother squeezed me tightly, as if she didn't want to let go of me. We stood outside of the brothel as the woman prepared for her departure. "I will miss you so much, my boy."

"I'll miss you too, mother." I said, hugging her just as tightly. "Give Brandon and Rickon my best regards."

She nodded as we pulled away. The woman smiled up at me, her hand gently cupping my cheek. "You're too kind, and handsome, for your own good."

I smiled and stepped aside, letting my father embrace my mother. They stood there for a moment before pulling away slightly.

"I wish I could see the girls." The woman said.

My father sighed, shaking his head. "It's too dangerous."

"Just for a moment."

"Until we know who our enemies are..."

My mother cut him off. "I know they did it, Ned. The Lannisters. In my bones, I know it."

"Littlefinger's right. I can't do anything without proof."

"And if you find the proof?"

My father sighed again. "Then I bring it to Robert... And hope he's still the man I once knew. You watch yourself on the road, huh?" My father smiled teasingly. "That temper of yours is a dangerous thing."

My mother laughed softly, giving my father amused look. "My temper? Gods be good, you nearly killed poor Littlefinger yesterday."

"He still loves you." The man pointed out.

"Does he?"

I nodded. "It is obvious, isn't it?" I questioned jokingly, causing both my parents to give me playful glares. "I'll be quiet..."

My father turned back to my mother, nudging her slightly along. "Off with you."

My two parents shared one last embrace and a quick kiss before my mother approached her steed. My father and I both watched as she rode away next to Ser Rodrick until she was out of sight.