TEN

The courtyard was filled with people getting ready to leave their northern home, myself included. My horse was eagerly stomping its hoof to the ground, causing me to chuckle lightly as I tightened my saddle bag. "Don't worry. We'll be leaving shortly."

"And you're still so keen on going?" A voice asked from behind me. Turning, I saw Robb standing there with a smile on his face and his arms crossed over his chest. "Always wanted to see the world haven't you, brother?"

I nodded, a small smirk appearing on my features. "There is more the land has to offer than snow and cold winds. And I intend to see those things."

"Mother isn't happy about this, you know. About you leaving."

"I know. But it is my choice. Besides, it's not like I'm going off on my own; I'll be with father."

The two of us were silent before Robb spoke up again. "It is going to be weird without you around. I'm going to miss having someone to spar with."

"You'll have Theon." I said with a shrug. "And he'll probably let you win."

"But it won't come with those snarky remarks of yours."

We both laughed softly before wrapping each other in a tight, brotherly hug. Robb pat my back gently, exhaling a soft breath.

"I'm going to miss you, Lachlan."

"I'm going to miss you, too, brother." I told him, chuckling softly. "Don't get into too much trouble without me."

My comment caused Robb to laugh before we pulled away. With one last small smile, my older brother walked away, going to say goodbye to the rest of our family.

"Do you really have to go?" Rickon's small voice asked, tears rolling down his cheeks at the thought of most his family leaving him.

Sighing, I knelt down to his height and put my hand on the little boy's cheek. "I'm going to protect our sisters, baby brother. And while I'm gone, I need you to protect mother and Bran. Can you do that for me?"

Wiping his tears, Rickon nodded. "I can try."

I smiled and placed a gentle kiss in my brother's forehead before he ran off. Taking a deep breath, I mounted my horse. Not a second later, Jon rode up next to me.

"Never pictured you for the King's Landing type, Lachlan." He joked. "Thought you'd be roaming the countryside, not stuck inside a city. What made you want to go?"

My eyes instantly trailed over to Myrcella, where she stood speaking with one of her handmaiden's and a small smile fell onto my lips at her happiness.

"Duty." I told Jon before turning my head in his direction. "I always thought you'd take the black at one point or another. Surprised it took you this long, if I'm being honest. Just...be safe, Snow."

Jon chuckled lightly at my comment. "You too, Stark." He said as he rode away.

I sighed as I thought of what I had said to Jon. Was I really going for duty? My eyes, once again, landed in the princess. Or is it something else?

Taking a breath, I kicked my horse to a trot and rode over to the blonde girl, who turned at the sound of a horse approaching. When she saw it was me, her eyes lit up and a small smile appeared on her face. She looked at my horse and sighed. "I envy you, you know. You get to ride in the sun while I'm stuck in a moving box."

A small smirk came to my face as I reached my hand down to her. "So, don't ride in the box."

Her eyes widened at my suggestion. "I-I couldn't. My mother would never agree to it."

"Then don't ask your mother."

The princess, understanding what I was implying, turned toward the king, who was standing across the courtyard. He, too, was looking in our direction. When he saw us looking at him, a wide smile came to his face as he nodded.

I looked back down at the girl with a smirk, though she still seemed hesitant. "Come on, Myrcella. I don't bite."

Finally, she sighed and placed her hand in mine. "Fine."

Smiling, I hoisted her up onto the saddle behind me. The girl's arms instantly wrapped tightly around my waist as I flicked the reigns, joining the party that was now making its way out the gates of Winterfell.

Of my childhood home.