EIGHT

"How is your brother doing?" The princess asked. The two of us had joined each other for a walk, both wanting to clear their minds of the events of the past few days.

"I'm not sure." I told her with a sigh. "No one really does. The maester says the most dangerous time has past, but...he still hasn't woken up."

I felt as a couple tears fell from my eyes, rolling silently down my cheeks. I cursed myself for showing weakness, especially when I'm supposed to be strong. But I can't be; not when my little brother is riding on the brink of death.

"I am...so sorry." Myrcella spoke softly as she turned to face me. Seeing my tears, she reached up and rested a hand on my cheek, rubbing the streaks away gently with her thumb. Her small hand was soft against my rough skin, causing a sense of calm to run through me. "No one should have to go through such a thing; finding their younger sibling in such a state."

When the girl turned away from me, we continued our walk. We were silent for a few moments, just enjoying each other's company before the princess spoke up again.

"I pray to the Seven every night, Lachlan. I have ever since the accident." The girl said softly. "I just hope they are listening to my prayers."

"Thank you, Myrcella." I said, giving the princess a soft smile.

Before the girl could speak again, a Lannister squire rushed over to us, stopping a few feet away. He caught his breath as he bowed lowly before standing straight again. "The queen is summoning you, my princess."

Mrycella nodded in reply as she turned to me with a sorry look. I smiled, assuring her silently it was ok before kissing her hand. I watched as the girl left with the squire, hugging her shawl closer to her in the cold.

"She's beautiful." I heard a voice say from behind me. Turning, I saw a girl standing under the nearby shelter of a canopy, her arms crossed over her chest and a teasing smile over her face.

I sighed, turning my back to her as I started walking away, though I heard her small footsteps behind me. "Hello to you too, Freydis."

I walked over to the blacksmith's shop and sat down on one of the wood stumps sitting nearby it, leaning my back against the chain mail hung on the wall. The blacksmith was currently repairing my sword for me, so it would be fixed for the journey south; I figured I could wait here until it was done.

"That was the princess, was it not?" The girl asked, ignoring my small comment.

"What does it matter to you, hmm?" I allowed a small and teasing smirk to appear on my face. "Do you envy her?"

Freydis' face turned to slight shock at my words, her face getting red as she spoke. "N-no. I was just curious is all."

"Good. Cause you truly have no reason to be envious; there is nothing between you and I, Freydis." My gaze went from the girl to the small dagger I played with in my hand. "There never has been."

"I wouldn't say never." Freydis said with a hint of suggestion in her tone.

I rolled my eyes, chuckling lightly as I looked back up at her, a small smile on my face. "Kissing doesn't mean anything, Freydis, considering it was a one time thing. And it is not like it will be happening again."

Before the girl could speak again, someone called my name. Looking over, I saw the blacksmith handing my sword out to me with a proud smile. I quickly hopped up and took it from his grasp, my eyes scanning over the repaired steel. I swung it around a few times, readjusting to the weight of the weapon.

I muttered my thanks to the man before turning to Freydis again, sticking my sword in its sheath. "Now, if you'll excuse me. I have to go speak with my father."

Without giving her time to speak, I stalked away from the girl, leaving her standing alone by the blacksmith's shop