TWELVE

We rode for a couple of hours, myself and Myrcella talking and laughing up a storm the entire time, before we stopped for lunch. I slowed my horse to a stop before hopping off, tying the mare to a nearby tree.

Looking up, I saw the princess smiling down at me, her green eyes shining in the midday sun. Chuckling, I smiled back. "What?"

"Nothing." She giggled back. "You just seem so much smaller down there."

The two of us laughed for a moment before I walked over to her. Putting my hands on her waist, with her hands on my shoulders, I lifted Myrcella off the saddle, putting her onto the ground.

As her feet hit the Earth, I looked down at her, the two of us only a few inches apart. My eyes locked onto hers and we just stayed like that, though I'm not sure for how long we stayed that way, just looking at each other. After what seemed like hours, Myrcella blushed slightly and looked down, some of her blonde hair falling into her face.

"Thank you." She said shyly as she took a step back and cleared her throat. When she lifted her head again, her face was still tinted a slight red. "For letting me ride with you. It was nice to get some air for a change."

"You're welcome to join me at any time." I told her, smiling at the blonde girl. "I quite enjoyed your company."

"And I yours." She told me.

The two of us bid our farewells before separating to join our families for lunch. I found my sisters and their septa sat on a blanket under a rather large oak tree, hiding away from the sun. Sighing, I walked over and laid down in the grass beside them, my legs tired from the ride.

"Was that the princess Myrcella I saw you riding with, my lord?" Septa Mordane questioned me, the genuine curiosity clear in her tone.

I tilted my head and saw the older woman looking at me with hinting eyes. Ignoring her look, I just nodded and faced up at the clear sky again. "Aye, it was."

"What were you doing with her?" Sansa snipped; she was jealous and I could tell. I am her older brother, after all.

"We are talking, little sister. The princess is very kind."

"But you rode together."

"Like I said, she is very kind. She has been nothing but good to me and I thought I could repay the favor; she didn't wish to ride in the coach."

The redhead was silent for a few moments before she spoke up. "Do you fancy her? Princess Myrcella?"

I furrowed my brows at her question. She had seen me with Freydis many times before, so why was she all of a sudden curious about my love life.

"Because if so, you'll have to get over it." She said smugly as she picked at her fruit. "Father and the king are planning on a betrothal between me and Joffrey."

"I am well aware, dear sister." Was all I said in reply before turning to my youngest sister. "You're quiet, Arya. What is on your mind, little one?"

The girl shrugged. "I just didn't really want to leave home." She said softly.

Sighing, I extended my arm to her. "Come 'ere."

Without saying anything, Arya shuffled over and sat next to me. She laid back, resting her head on my chest as she looked up at the sky with me. I rested my arm gently across her chest, rubbing her arm in a comforting manner.

"I know it's not easy to leave your family, Arya." I told her, speaking softly. "But sometimes we have to. Sometimes...we don't have a choice."

"But you did." She spoke softly. "Why?"

I sighed. "Well, it wasn't easy. But I wanted to be here with the two of you. To protect my little sisters." I gave both of the girls a small smile, one which they both returned to me.

It was this moment that I knew I had made the right decision in traveling south; I needed to be here to protect my sister. And I would do anything to make sure they're safe.

Anything.