I

Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Oɴᴇ
𝐶𝑜𝑢𝑟𝑡𝑦𝑎𝑟𝑑 𝑜𝑓 𝑊𝑖𝑛𝑡𝑒𝑟𝑓𝑒𝑙𝑙

The sound of steel hitting steel could be heard anywhere in the courtyard; it wasn't hard to miss. Neither was the occasional grunt that came from either of the two oldest Stark boys. It wasn't a rare occurrence to see the brothers sparring, but it was always an interesting fight, with the two equally matched as far as strength went.

But when it came to fighting dirty, that was all for the younger brother.

Lachlan smirked triumphantly as his big brother grunted softly, the flat side of the younger boy's blade coming into contact with his left bicep causing a sting of pain to shoot through the area.

"Hey!" Robb hollered out, glancing over at his tunic, now with a small tear in the sleeve. "That's not fair. You can't just-"

The boy never got to finish, for as soon as he looked away, the younger of the two took this time to attack, swiping the hilt of his sword behind his brother's knees. Robb's back quickly came into contact with the dirt below him, his sword clattering down a few feet away. The tip of a blade was pointed at his face before he could even attempt to get back up, the wielder of the sword smirking at him cockily.

"You play dirty." The older one growled, though the corner of his mouth twitched up slightly.

"You never said it had to be a fair fight." Lachlan said with a small shrug. When nothing more was said, the boy raised his brows expectantly. "Well?"

Letting out a sigh, Robb held his hand out towards the boy. "I yield."

"You act as though you had a choice, brother." Was his reply before he bent down, pointing his sword away as he clasped his hand into Robb's and hoisted the boy to his feet.

Before either could speak again, a cool toned voice interrupted them, causing both Stark boys to turn their heads and look up at the balcony, where their lord father stood with his arms folded. "Well done, Lachlan." He said with a small nod. "Now both of you hurry along. You promised to help your brother with his archery."

"Yes, father." The two mumbled before gathering their things, sheathing their swords and making their way to the other end of the courtyard, where they could see Jon in the distance, setting up the basin of arrows.

"So," Robb's voice came from next to him, causing the seventeen year old to look over at his older brother, who wore a teasing smirk on his face. "You've been spending a lot of time with Freydis."

"And where did you hear that?"

"From sources." There was a pause before he spoke again. "Is it true?"

Lachlan sighed, rolling his eyes. "Freydis is a friend. Nothing more."

"She's a whore."

While it was true, Lachlan had never once looked at her that way. The Stark boy had met the blonde haired girl many moons ago, and the two had hit it off straight away. They were only friends, but it wasn't viewed as just a friendship to the boys, resulting in endless teasing from the three of them.

"So?" Lachlan replied with furrowed brows, not bothering to look at the older boy as they finally made it to where their bastard brother stood. "She's just a friend."