Chapter 45 - Watching The Night Life The Lights And The Fun

"Three cups of boba please!"

Brian reminds me of a mum. Not my mum. I barely knew her. Rather just a mum in general. I'm like his little child, and I can always count on him to speak up for me when I'm shy.

Well, I'm not shy. That's pretty obvious. It's more so when I'm either not in the mood, or when he knows I'm gonna f*ck something up. So just like a mum, he takes the lead.

He paid the lovely, ingenuous cashier as John and I reconnoitered for a table to reside at. I say that like we were on some sort of man hunt. The place was actually fairly empty. I guess with the world sort of collapsing in on itself with many, many new adversities, everyone just gave up. It's like we're not even living anymore. We're just surviving.

F*cking deep. Sorry, that's not like me. I've been stuck in my thoughts lately. I hate thinking. Because for me, thinking and overthinking are one and the same. And when I think, I think about the bad. That's just been how it is. All the bad. Too much of it. I don't like it.

Brian, looking like Christ the goddamn Redeemer, gloriously brought the boba over. John and Brian chatted. I forget about what. I zoned out. It's easy to do that with the repetitive, routine movement of the urban world just outside. Cars come and go. Streetlight flash green, yellow, and red. People walk.

Sammy. Scout. Whatever his name is. I don't have a good feeling about him. He's too open for a spy. No, can't be that. I was kind to John when he first came into SoR. So then, why's he ticking me off so much?

His smile? You can usually tell a psychopath by their smile. It's usually those with the clenched jaw, wacky ass smiles. Scout hasn't got one. Well, he kind of does, but I think that's just because he was feigning excitement.

I don't know. You can usually tell when someone's working for the other side. Then again from past experience, we've been kind of bad at that.

I opted for the more taciturn of personalities today, I suppose. As we exited the cozy boba place, John and Brian decided to walk around the city for a bit. I suppose that's one of the thing they were talking about while I zoned out. And I guess when I mindlessly nodded my head, they took it as my so convenient agreement.

Throughout our little venture out into the populous Singapore, I stuck to sipping on my boba tea. It's a safe little comfort zone. Brian checked in on me every now and then as he always assumes I'm either extra depressed or feeling very mischievous whenever I'm quiet for too long. He's not wrong usually. Today, however, it's neither. I decided to pick up the pace and start conversation myself.

"Why do you think there's an SoR base in Singapore, anyways?" I asked, curious.

"Singapore's a quick growing country. I assume that's a large factor," explained Brian. "You see, SoR likes to choose cities that are well known as they are the ones that need the most protection."

Quickly realizing he was about to go off on a rant, I prepared myself for another zone out session. "Really?"

"Their grandness make them an easier target. Besides, it's easier to reach signals across the world with places more municipal."

I got bored with his lecture quick. He went on and on believing I was still listening. Look, don't take it the wrong way. I usually listen to him and his adorable rants. Usually.

Deaky pleasured in walking ever so slightly ahead of us and taking in all the sights. That's not new. It's the Deaky thing.

He's a lot more relaxed, I've noticed. That's a good thing! I'm just glad he's been feeling better. He's never truly articulated it, but I can see he's ever so slightly adjusting and getting accustomed to the situation at hand. I think we all are.