Chapter 40 - Take Care Of Those You Call Your Own

John's POV

The casino bore an uncomfortable emptiness. Water invaded every nook and corner. Swallowing my qualms, I forced myself out of the building. No matter how tentative I was, I needed to find Brian and Roger. They shouldn't have to fend off Freddie on their own.

Too late. The moment I stepped out of that musky old building, Roger pounced onto my back spinning me around.

He didn't look angry. I expected him to be. I sort of abandoned them. He looked concerned if anything. Rog held me by the shoulders and genially asked, "John, are you alright? What happened? You, you didn't come up with us."

Maybe my deportment was too obvious. They shouldn't have to worry about me when they've already got to worry about Freddie. We've got more important things to handle than for them to fret over my asinine emotions.

"I... I'm fine," I shook off his hand. I gazed around the scene. Chaotic, but not the worst it could be, "Is everyone else okay?"

Brian answered with worry plastered on his face, "They're fine. But are you? not like this, John."

I wasn't in the mood to act all cantankerous since there are better things to do than be all moody, but they were getting on my nerves acting all overbearing with me. I can handle it. I don't see why they're so concerned. They've just got to do their jobs and stop worrying about me.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I coldly stated warping my way around and away from them. I crossed my arms.

Brian and Roger caught up to me still badgering a real answer out of me. Well, that was my real answer. I'm fine. Not really, but I will be. Today is one day of the many we have to stop Freddie. I'm overthinking it and taking it too close to heart. I shouldn't let my previous relationship get in the way of catching him. Yeah. That's it. That's all.

"John!" called Roger making sure to step in front of me, "What's going on? You wouldn't just walk away like that."

Rolling my eyes, I retorted, "And who says you know what I'd do?"

He sighed placing his hands on his hips, "B*tch, I've been your friend for four years, I think I know when you're upset. What's the mood about? I'm sorry we didn't catch Freddie, Deaky. But please, you need to tell us what's up."

"Save it. I don't want to talk about it, and that's because there's nothing to talk about! Please, stop worrying over me. I'm fine. I promise."

"Look me in the eyes and tell me you're fine," Roger forcefully clasped his hands on my shoulders staring deeply into my soul. Now, I wasn't just feeling like sh*t but also mildly uncomfortable.

"Could you stop?!" I barked shoving Roger away, "I don't have to tell you anything if you're gonna be so... so..." tears began to accumulate in my eyes, "incredibly pushy! Can you leave me be?! I just need to be alone for a bit..."

And that's it. That's the truth. I didn't want to deal with this sh*t right now. Because I know as soon as Brian and Roger come back, we have to get to work. We have to find Freddie. And I don't think I'm ready to go back again. I don't think I'm ready to see Freddie again. Not after today. Not after yesterday. Not after three weeks ago. I haven't been ready.

Roger glared back at me upset that I so harshly pushed him away. I know he was just trying to help, but all he was doing was make it worse. He softened, but he still kept his distance after my outburst.

"Why don't we go back to the hotel? Just to steam off for a bit," Brian suggested.

I took a deep inhale attempting to calm myself, "I, I'm sorry."