Chapter 9: The Show Goes On

Chapter 9:

The Tech Rehearsal

The theater students stand on the side of stage where the theater drapes would be

The theater students stand on the side of stage where the theater drapes would be . The smell of smoke and burning rubber was the only thing they could smell. The fire department was there, getting rid of any debris that could be hurtful to any people coming through. The kids stand in shock and Nini asks Miss Jenn what happened.

"It's okay. Nobody was hurt. There was a small fire in the theater over the holiday." Miss Jenn assures her students and turns to talk to a firefighter nearby holding a burnt and smoking basketball.

"Unfortunately the show cannot go on." The students gasp, "Fire ripped through half of your costumes and the sprinklers ruined a bunch of your sets. I'm sorry."

They give each other sad looks. It was awful, all the hard work and time put towards the production and what were they going to do now?

"Okay listen up. Hug your neighbor, take a moment and reconvene in the cafeteria after school to talk about options."

Cassidy stands in between Ricky and Red and grabs both their hands in hers.

"Nini and Cassie, will you guys spread the word to the others?" The drama teacher asks the two girls. They agree and walk other directions to find students and let them know about the meeting after school.

~~

"EJ!" Cassie yells and makes her way over to where he stands in the cafeteria with the other drama kids with sad faces. He opens up his arms for her and she breaks down into him almost instantly.

"What're we going to do? I refuse to throw away all the hard work." She says to him. Before he could reply Miss Jenn struts into the lunchroom.

"I'm not sure what to say," she starts, "You've all worked so hard, and I've seen all of you grow so much. But if we don't have a theater, we don't have a show." Collective chatter is heard through the room, full of broken students trying to brainstorm ideas to keep the show going.

"We've got to do something." Carlos says.

"I guess we could consider other venues." Miss Jenn suggests. Ashlyn offers a venue at 'Old Kingston' which is downtown, but not a good option due to it being condemned. EJ suggests another venue, but that one doesn't work out either, due to it now being a Starbucks.

Carlos gives another suggestion, "How about the El Rey? My uncle is a listing agent and the last time that theater was used was for a fashion show four years ago" All the students agree.

"That would be perfect, why don't we use that?" Cass speaks up excitedly and Carlos gets up to call his uncle. They speak to each other in Spanish and hear his uncle, "Si, Si!"

"That sounded like a yes to me!" They all begin cheering, happy to have a place to rehearse and for the show to not be cancelled.

"Let's grab all the props and costumes that didn't get damaged and load out."