What Did He Put in Us?

"So, this guy who we still don't know who he is, takes over government experiments, unleashes a zombie virus, and then decides to put us in some weird hyper sleep thing for 728 years and then put himself inside his giant machine. Did I miss anything?" McKenna asked. Tim, Jeremy and I had just done our best to explain what we had learned earlier to everyone.
"He also injected us with some weird thing," I said, remembering the syringe.
"Well, we need to get out of here, there's probably no food or water," Katie suggested. She kept looking at the scars on my arms and eventually LeAnna followed her gaze and gasped.
"Steve! What happened to your arms!?" LeAnna asked looking shocked.
"Nothing, well, not that really helps or harms us now. We need-" I began to say, trying to move the topic of the conversation away from my scars. But a large, booming noise, followed by a whoosh of cool air reached us and we all fell silent. The air continued to come to us in that hallway almost like a kind of wind or breeze. It was nice, especially on my arms, but it reeked of the smell of death.
"Ew! What's that smell!?" Katie exclaimed, wrinkling her nose. I lifted my bandana to cover my face and looked to where the breeze was coming.
"That breeze either means an exit or nothing. Do we follow it?" Tim calculated.
"I don't think I can walk very far," Brooke said. I was suddenly worried for her child after all we had been through.
"We can make a stretcher. Tim and Lee, find something like a pole. I'll use one of the blankets in my pack for the middle part," I instructed. Tim and Lee quickly procured two metal pipes and I quickly tied the blanket between them. I Lee sit on the stretcher and had Tim and Jeremy lift it up to make sure it was sturdy enough to lift a person.
"Are you calling me fat?" Brooke asked angrily as Lee tested the stretcher.
"What? Uh, no, I'm not. I'm just testing it for strain and such," I said, though it wasn't a good save.
"He's just watching out for our baby, Brooke," Tim said softly to her. Brooke's expression softened and Tim led her to the stretcher, where he helped her sit down on it. Then he and Lee gently lifted up the stretcher and we were off, walking down the rusty, mechanical hallway. It was a while before anyone spoke, and the topic was a little disconcerting.
"Guys, the power is out," Devin said, breaking the silence.
"So? We already knew this," Elena said, unconcerned.
"So how do we see without the lights?" Devin asked. We all stopped, shocked at this new revelation.
"Does someone have a light?" Corey asked. I procured my second flashlight, my backup, and handed it to him. He pointed it away from him and looked away. I heard the click of the switch and a searingly bright light blinded me. I fell to my knees, trying to shield my eyes from the light.
"Turn it off!" I heard someone yell and the light disappeared. And then a resounding voice came to my ears. Sort of. It could hear it, but not physically. Almost like it was in my mind. I opened my eyes, taking a moment to blink away the spots, but couldn't figure out here it was coming from. I saw that the others were having similar troubles.
"I see you've begun to discover my - ah - upgrades..." Said a voice I recognized as Mr. Crazy Creeper Man.
"Where is that son of a-" I heard Jeremy yell in frustration.
"The first you discovered is night-vision of course. I should probably tell you that you have to switch between them mentally. Otherwise you may go blind in regular light," said the voice. That's when I realized it was all in my head. The others realized this simultaneously and we all looked at one another in horror.
"What did he put in us?" McKenna asked the question that was in all of our minds.