The Zombie Hunt

"What the heck is a zombie hunt?" Emily asked as I made sure I was ready for a fight.

"I don't know how or why, but whenever you hear that sound, it means that a horde of zombies is coming and killing anything alive in their path. And those little spikes you have wont keep them out," I said, walking outside to go warn those outside.

"You're lying. There aren't that many zombies in this part of the-" Emily argued as she followed me, but she was interrupted as a zombie jumped at her. I swung my pickax and hooked it's jaw, killing it and flipping it over my head.

"Crap. They're closer than I thought. Get the others ready! Get your weapons!" I ordered Emily, who was staring oddly at me. I was about to yell something when she nodded and ran back inside to the others. I, on the other hand, ran to where the wagon was left. Let me just say, I had a massive headache and it was hard to focus. But I got there nonetheless, a few seconds before the second zombie came. I killed it before it could reach them, though they still thought the danger was absent.

"Thanks, um, what's your name?" Katie asked, not wanting to upset her in a soon coming zombie fight.

"Uh... Jack. Jack Falcon," I said, using a name I made up years ago.

" Wanna help us with the wood?" McKenna asked from inside the wagon, I looked at her and saw she had some attachment on her arm that she was using to lift the wood.

"What? Oh, gosh, stupid headache. No, there's a zombie hunt coming and we need to get somewhere safe," I said. During this whole time the roar was getting louder and louder until it became almost overwhelming, then abruptly stopped.

"Oh good, it stopped," Tim said, but I knew we were probably about to die.

"In the wagon! Now!" I ordered, pushing the three of them into the wagon.

"Jack, what the-" Katie began to complain, but I interrupted her.

"Not now! We need to move! Tim, get that horse heading towards the gym!" I yelled. Tim was disconcerted but complied.

"What's going on Steve?" McKenna asked as I looked out the back of the wagon. Sure enough, a large swarm of zombies turned the corner and began to run at us. I mean, it was huge, bigger than some of the ones I had seen in California. I was about to point it out when something clawed my leg and almost pulled me out the back. Luckily, I managed to hook my pickax on the side of the wagon, but that was the extent of my abilities other than flailing. I heard a metal scraping sound from the wagon and then a silver flash the cut the arms off of the zombie grabbing at me. Then I was piled up and got a good look at the person, and weapon that saved me.

"McKenna, why do you have a sword arm?" I asked as I knocked a zombie aside with my pickax. The main group was getting close now. The spikes had barely slowed them.

"If I'm gonna lose an arm, I might as well replace it with something useful," She said as she sliced through a zombie that jumped at us. Good logic i guess. We got to the gym and found the front part with the pillars barricaded with sand bags and more wooden spikes. Cause they worked so well last time. Brooke must've been inside with Elena and Torin, since I didn't see them. Chris was there, but he didn't have time to question who I was. We all had enough time to give Tim an ax and Katie a machete before the zombies got to us. I drew my knife on my belt and went to fighting. There was kind of a mixed feel about fighting with my friends by my side. One on side, I had someone to watch my back for once, but then again there was the possibility we could lose someone. Any who, the battle went pretty well before 10 swarmed Tim all at once. He killed three before his ax got stuck in the thirds head and Tim fell over. Lee appeared and killed two before another group of them attacked Lee and he was occupied. I had no way of getting over there in time so I did the only thing that came to mind. I pulled my gun I kept for emergencies and shot the last five. The battle ended quickly after that, allowing Emily to yell at me, even though Tim was wounded.

"Why do you have that gun?!" She asked angrily. I ran over to Tim and began to assess his wounds.

"So I could kill zombies! Now help me take care of Tim," I said. He got away with just a bad bite on his shoulder, but zombie bites could get infected easily and I didn't know what medical supplies they had here. Better not risk infection.

"They'll be here soon. We need to get rid of that gun," McKenna said. Tim cried out in pain as I began to clean his wound.

"What if they come back? This is gonna hurt Tim," I said. There was a tooth stuck in the wound and zombie teeth and nails are barbed, so it's hard to get out.

"Then we kill them without the gun!" Katie yelled, but I didn't hear what she said as I had just pulled out the tooth, making Tim scream.

"Hold on Tim, it'll be ok. Fine, get rid of the gun, but help me with Tim!" I yelled. That's when Brooke came out and went into hysteria. Lee had to take her inside. Torin and Elena soon came outside as well, but they decided to concern themselves with Tim and not the gun.

"Gosh I'm an idiot. Steve, what do you need for Tim?" McKenna asked. I was glad she did so because everyone followed her lead.

"I need a stretcher to get him inside and some clean bandages. We need to get him somewhere secure. It'll be nighttime soon and there's blood in the air," I said, they all rushed to help. Zombies did better at night and could smell human blood from a long way off. Chris and Torin were just coming out with a stretcher when a bunch of military vehicles appeared from around the corner and drove toward us.

"Who's that?" I asked.

"The militia that runs Phoenix. They call themselves the Army of Hell," Elena said, like they were actually from hell.