Chapter 3: Bittersweet Memories

I blinked as the light shone into my eyes. Upon sitting up, I wondered why I was in the forest in the first place. Eventually, though, a rush of memories came flooding back to me as I remembered the black alpha werewolf and the comfort it's presence gave me. I smiled at the memory and looked to see if he was still there, but when I didn't spot the werewolf anywhere near, disappointment came crashing down on me.   

I shook my head. 'Why on earth do I care if he isn’t there? I thought as I soon brought myself up to my feet. I needed to stop thinking about him. It would just confuse me more than I already was- and that's a lot. If this kept up, my brothers will feel my emotions and I will never hear the end of it.

Having thought that, I pulled out my phone from my pack pocket to check the time. 1:30 P.M!' Wow. I only have about an hour left of school, so I decided to just skip and go on autopilot. I was confused with my emotions and didn’t know how to handle them.

    I was so lost in my own world, I didn’t realize that I was walking into the Blood’s side of the woods.

    I gradually ceased my approaching footsteps to look around my surroundings. I immediately gasped as I realized where I was, instantly turning to head back to my own land, but as quickly as I moved, a white wolf momentarily appeared into sight, out of the lush trees. No sooner after that, a blackish gray one came from the left, and then a blue from my right.

    It didn't take me long to realize that I was surrounded.

    I proceeded to curse under my breath as I looked at each and every one of them. The white wolf was female and so was the blackish gray one. But the blue one was male. I began to plan out how this will go out, when I heard a familiar growl behind me. All three of them backed away, the second they heard that sound.

    I inclined my head to view the source, and sure enough, there was the black wolf from the forest. I looked into his gray eyes and got lost in them. 'Focus, Rose!' I looked down at my shoes, trying to snap myself out of the trance he had me in.

    “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to trespass.” I mumbled.

    He huffed in response, obviously wanting my attention, but I pretended I didn’t hear him.

    Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him roll his all too familiar hues. Then he walked over to me and gently nudged my hand. Only then did I look at him, causing the werewolf to motion for me to follow him with his head.

    “I’m sorry, but I can’t. I have to get back to my brothers, who are probably looking for me.” I said, before making eye contact. 'Those eyes… they look so familiar.' I thought for a second, before I bent myself down to his height level. “But, I’ll meet you back here tonight, if you want.” I whispered. Showing his obligation, he took a step back and nodded. And with that, he turned around and walked back into the forest, while I turned around an headed home.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    The surprise that awaited me proved to have been really overwhelming.

    So much so, that I happened to have ran upstairs into my room, jumping onto the bed. At that point, I couldn't restrain myself. I let the tears easily flow as I cried, and cried, and cried. I couldn’t believe it. 'This can’t be happening!' I thought. She can’t be gone! My granny just CAN’T be gone!

    When I came home, my two brothers rushed out of the front door and told me to sit down. That’s when they told me Granny had died, and that her funeral was in two days. And I was so caught up in my sadness, that I forgot to meet that Alpha.

    ~Two Days Later~

    I was dressed from head to toe in nothing but black, except for the red cloak, of course. I happened to be wearing a black dress, black heels, and just…black.

    After walking into the crowd, I saw my pack finding a place to sit. And above all else, I saw Hakim, who had purple hair with black tips and those black eyes that turned red when he was a wolf-, Scarlet, Tyler, and Derek.

    Summoning all the composure I had, I finally found a seat next to Scarlet as the funeral progressed.

    “Hello, and welcome all to…”

    And before I knew it, it started and ended so quickly.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    As I was about to enter into my green Jeep, a guy with black hair and gold eyes had suddenly ran up to me. “Miss, wait!” I turned around to face him. ”Yes?”  “This is for you,” he said as he handed me some sort of old journal. ”Your grandmother wanted to give this to you. It was one of the first things mentioned in her will.” Then he just walked off, without another word.

    I looked down at the journal and decided to open it.

    As I oped the first page, a letter soon fell out.

    Like what anyone would obviously do, I picked it up and read it.

    Dear Rose,

    I know that you're probably wondering why you have this. Well, this journal belongs to the original Red Riding Hood, also known to be your great, great, great grandmother.

    This story has been passed down from generation to generation, but I did not give it to my son. Why? Because I knew I should have let you kept it. Your father was in a bad place at that time, and both your parents passed before I could pass it to either one of them.

    So, when you took an interest into Red Riding Hood at a young age, I knew it was you. You are the key to unlocking this ancient mystery, Roseline. I suggest you keeping this from everyone, including your brothers, since this is very important for the safety of everyone.

    This is the story of a girl who fell in love with a beast. And who we really were before we changed forever. I know this is a big burden to bear, but I know you can do it! You are strong, Roseline. Never forget that. I love you and wish you the best of luck, my dear.

    Love always,

    Granny

    I was in tears by the time I finished reading the letter. I was feeling… I didn’t what I was feeling. A mix of emotions, but I just hugged the letter close to my heart.

    I then mustered the nerve to read the very first page.

    René Lee Anne’s Journal

    And this is where the adventure begins.