Chapter 10

X

JASON

Wanna break into a carnival without tickets? Jason asked smirking

   ‘Seriously. Who are you?’ Piper asked mockingly as she hugged him tight and they flew towards the carnival. The clouds blocked off the sunlight completely and the atmosphere was miserably dim. The giant Ferris wheel seemed to be rusting and the carnival game section seemed like it hadn’t been open for days together. Maybe even months.

   ‘There isn’t any sunlight here.’ Piper said acknowledging them of the fact they already knew about.

   ‘We’ve gotta wait.’ Jason said as he heard a noise behind them. Reyna twitched her hand and tapped Piper and his hands.

   ‘It isn’t going to be a boring wait.’ Reyna said pulling out her ribbon from her hair and it flowed down the shoulder. She pulled us behind the rusty ride with teacup designs and hushed us. ‘We’ve got company. Prepare yourselves.’

   Piper pulled out Katoptris and Jason tossed his coin, turning it into a spear. They sat still behind the ride and waited for the enemy to come out. They waited for about a minute and then Piper stood up.

   ‘No one’s here.’ She said waving hands and a boy about their age grabbed her by the waist and placed a knife to her neck. He had a very light shade of brown skin and dirty brown hair as if he had been rolling on the ground all day. His dark brown eyes were staring at Jason and Reyna. He could’ve passed as Leo's brother any moment of the day if not for his tall and muscular figure. Jason raised and pointed his spear at the boy and the boy just laughed in return.

   ‘Place that thing down, or your girlfriend is dead.’ Jason sighed and placed his spear down and the boy kicked it aside. Reyna decided to attack him from behind, but he just dodged and pulled her by her toga material. ‘Maybe I should just kill both your girlfriends.’ He said with an evil smile plastered on his face.

   ‘Let us go!’ Reyna growled and elbowed him in his stomach, but it didn’t seem to bother him much.

   ‘Who are you? A Son of Ares?’ Jason asked curiously.

   ‘So, I’ve got two pretty girls and a crazy guy under my custody.’ The boy said laughing and Piper lost her temper. She took out Katoptris and stabbed him. It went right through him and Jason stared at him in surprise.

   ‘You’re a mortal?’ Reyna asked surprised. She turned around to face him and they had their faces uncomfortably close.

   ‘What are you honey? Immortal?’ He asked laughing and Reyna struggled to free herself.

   ‘I liked you guys when you were ignorant and stupid.’ Piper said.

   ‘Did you just call me stupid? Just because I live here? This place has been abandoned for ages. I don’t have a place to live. I live here, so what?! I know you’re here to give me away to the cops!’

   ‘You live here?’ Piper asked as her voice lowered. ‘Let me go.’ She charmspoke and he let go of her.

   ‘What? How did you? Never mind. Yes. I live here. You think of calling the cops, the pretty little girl in the funny clothes is dead.

   ‘A toga!’ Reyna grumbled, and Jason stepped forward. The boy pressed the knife closer to her neck and she winced.

   ‘Okay, man. Relax. This is clearly a misunderstanding. We come with no harm. Actually, we don’t care at all. You go on with your living and we’ll leave in a while. We have some unfinished business here.’ Jason said holding his hands up. ‘Now, if you will please release Reyna.’