Chapter 8

VIII

LEO

This was not going to end well.

   Leo knew that there was severe tension between Calypso and Annabeth. He thought it would drift away as time passed, but Percy just had to agree to join the quest. With Leo and Calypso! It could’ve been anyone. Will, Nico or even Clarisse for the matter, but no. Percy had to step in and show how big his heart was and how he’s loyal.

   ‘Percy. Don’t do this. Stay with Annabeth.’ Leo said as he frowned.

   ‘She’ll understand. Eventually. I’ve got to prove it to her that she’s the most important person in my life.’

   ‘By abandoning her?’

   ‘If it makes her understand, then yes.’ Percy said a little annoyed and stormed off.

   ‘Very well. It is decided then.’ Mr. D spoke just when Leo was starting to forget about his presence. He turned around, ‘I will make my way back in that case. Pack your stuff, you’ll be leaving tomorrow.’

   ‘Tomorrow?!’Leo exclaimed and Mr. D just ignored him.

‘Leo... I’m so sorry.’ Calypso said with regret in his voice. ‘I know you want to have a good time. Now you have to go on this quest because of me.’

   ‘Hey, hey... I chose to be on this quest, and you make me happy. What else would I want?’

   Calypso hugged him and sobbed on his chest. Leo had never felt like that before. Was he a shoulder to cry on? Sure. There were times when Piper cried her heart out to him expressing her true feelings for Jason and how she’d barbeque Hera for the mess she’d created. But seeing Calypso sobbing hurt him a lot.

   ‘Don’t worry Calypso. I’ll be there beside you throughout.’

   Calypso understood that Leo meant it. She straightened her expression and punched him slightly. ‘You better be Valdez. And just so you know, I’ve lived without your protection for three thousand years.’

   ‘So much for gratitude.’ Leo grumbled as he rubbed his arm where Calypso had punched him.

   ‘I’ll be at the Apollo cabin. I’m gonna try to figure out the way to dad.’ Will mumbled and left the room, and Nico nodded at them before he left too.

   ‘Let’s go set things right.’ Calypso said and held on to Leo's hand. They waved goodbye to Jason and Piper and exited the infirmary.

   ‘I don’t know what it’s gonna be like without them.’ Leo said softly and Calypso gave him a blank expression. ‘Jason and Piper. They’re my best friends. I couldn’t imagine going for a quest without them.’

   ‘I’m really sorry Leo.’ Calypso said and her head hung low.

   ‘Calypso. Please don’t apologize. This was supposed to happen. It will. At least the prophecy didn’t state back that we’d die right?’

   ‘I’m not sure about that. The last line stated Some to return with their lives changed forever. One of them would be me. But who knows who the rest may be? And what do you mean by changed forever?’

   ‘I have no idea. Just hope that changed forever doesn’t mean enjoying the luxuries of Elysium.’

   ‘You’re funny Leo.’ Calypso said and ran towards cabin nine. Leo could be pretty decent with a girl and treat her with kindness, but romance wasn’t exactly his thing. He was happy that calypso understood that. He always wanted a girl who’d understand his sense of humor and play along with it. A girl who’d stick with him, no matter what he did. That included him bursting into flames during a make-out session.