Chapter Eighteen - If Only

Stanley and Jane ran with all of their strength towards the scene. Alexandra watched them as they ran and she could see so much pain in both of their eyes. It was all happening too fast.

Dusk had not yet moved from her position. Blood was coming from the back of her head that touched the ground first after she was hit by the car. Her body was tossed a few feet from where the car hit her. It was a horrible sight.

Alexandra quickly knelt down beside Dawn and gave her a hug. She embraced her and put her head on her chest, trying to block Dawn from the sight. "It's okay. You'll be okay," she said. "I won't let you get through this alone," she tightened her embrace.

"Oh, my baby!" Jane caress Dusk's cheeks with her trembling hands. Stanley was still grasping on what had just happened. He just sat down beside Jane. "Is she... is she..." Jane said while crying.

Stanley knew what had to be done. He touched Dusk's neck for a pulse, then her breathing, then her wrist, and her chest. They both showed negative.

She died.

Stanley couldn't get the words out of her mouth. His throat was holding him back. He just looked up to meet her wife's eyes and with only a glance, Jane understood what he meant. She cried even louder and she kissed Dusk's cheeks in hoping that it would bring her back.

The guards of Heverbrew had already called an ambulance and it would arrive within a few minutes. They tried getting the traffic back in order because some cars, though not many, that rode down the road stopped to look at what happened.

No more than two minutes later, the ambulance arrived. They took Dusk and put her in a stretcher. Jane didn't want to be separated so she got in to the ambulance as well.

Stanley went back to his car and followed the ambulance. Dawn didn't want to let go of Alexandra's hug, so Stanley also let her in the car. He thought that she could be Dawn's company for a little while.

No one said a word in the car. They were getting so anxious. A few minutes later, they arrived in a hospital. It was not big, but it was the closest one.

Stanley was allowed to park his car near the entrance. When he got out, he ran inside to catch her wife and he daughter, leaving Alexandra and Dawn behind.

Alexandra helped Dawn getting out of the car. When they were entering the hospital, she noticed that there was the same car that had hit Dusk earlier. It was the same type and model. She didn't remember the license plate, however, so it could be someone else's. But if it were her father, then it would mean that he was inside too.

Alexandra followed the steps of Stanley. She still had Dawn walking beside her and holding her hand.

They arrived in the Emergency Room. Alexandra didn't want to come in, she was worried of what Dawn might see. So she decided to sit on the bench not far from the Emergency Room, waiting for an answer.

"Are you hungry?" Alexandra asked. Dawn shook her head. "Do you want to drink?" she asked again. Dawn only shook her head.

They went silent. She didn't know what to do to comfort Dawn.

"I'm scared," Dawn finally said.

"Of what?" Alexandra asked and put her arm on her back.

"I should save her,"

It suddenly reminded her when she found Dawn in one of the bathroom stall, crying and bruised. She said something that she didn't understand then.

'I should've saved her' Dawn's voice echoed in her head.

"Sweetie, it's not your fault. It is the bad man who drives the car's fault," she gave her a reassuring smile.

"But I ran trying to catch her,"

"But you tried to stop her, right?" Alexandra caressed her back.

"But I failed," Dawn's voice was low. She regretted everything that happened.

"Do you remember what your momma said about the butterfly?" she asked and Dawn nodded. "Well, your sister is just like butterfly too," Dawn looked up and met her eyes.

"How?"

"A butterfly needs to be free so it can fly wherever it wants. That way, she would be happy. Dusk also wants to be free, so she can fly and run anywhere she wants without being told that she needs to sleep," Dawn chuckled. "And now, she can never get tired or hungry. She can play and play for hours. And I know that she wants you to be happy too. So whenever you think of her, just know that she is always with you, here." Alexandra pointed to Dawn's chest.

Dawn hugged her so tight. She felt calmer than before.

Not long after, Stanley went out of the Emergency Room. He looked around to find them, and when he saw them hugging on the bench, he approached them.

"Thank you, Alexandra, for accompanying Dawn," he said. "I will look after her now," he tried to force a smile. When he held Dawn in her arms, he met Alexandra's eyes and shook his head. It would mean one thing.

Dusk didn't make it.

"I would want to drive you home, but I have to stay and—"

"Oh it's alright Mr. Heverbrew. My home is close from here, I'll just walk,"

"Be careful, alright?"

"I will," she smiled and left both of them. She looked back to take one last glance at her best friend. This might be the last time she could ever see her.

Was this what started it all? What turned the most humble family she had ever met to a disastrous one like what everybody said? Is this what turned a nice man to an alcoholic and a father who abandoned her own daughter?
If only this never happened, Dawn would be someone completely different by now. But would she still meet her?

That didn't matter.

Was it her fault? What if she declined their offer to drive her home? Would things still turn out the way they were now?

She just wanted Dawn to be alive. One wish. One simple wish. If what it took was her soul for it to be fulfilled, then she wouldn't say no.