Chapter Eleven - Fear In Her Eyes

The bell for recess rang. Just like every school, just a second after it rang, everyone burst out of their class. Some ran downstairs, some hung-out in the break room, some went to their next class.

Mrs. Hannigan wasn't happy of the principal's decision, which made Alexandra her next 'target'.

​Alexandra hadn't had the chance to tidy up because she had no idea how messy she was until she saw her reflection on the restroom mirror. She was embarrassed of what London might think about her. She quickly tidied herself up. Then, she heard someone sobbing. She thought she was the only one there until she noticed the door of the last stall was closed.
​"Hello?" she knocked on the door and it slowly opened. "Dawn?"

​Dawn was sitting on the toilet seat with her head rested on the side wall. Her body was shaking and she was sobbing for it was difficult for her to catch a breath.

​"Hey, are you okay?" she said and lifted up Dawn's head.

​When she brushed Dawn's hair off her face, she was surprised to see bruises on her left eye and nose. The bruise made it difficult for her to open her left eye. Her knuckles were also injured and there were more bruises on her arm more than on her face. It was as if she was in a fight with someone and it seemed like she lost.

​"Who did this to you?" no response. "Let's go to the meds before it gets worse,"

​"No," she said. "It's my fault,"

​"Your fault? Stop blaming everything on yourself,"

​"IT IS!" Dawn's voice cracked. "I should've saved her. I had no idea what to do!"

​"Save who? What are you talking about?"

​"My dad is never friendly with alcohol, you know?" Dawn let out a giggle.

​"Wait, he did this to you?" she was shocked. "We need to see Mr. Vaughn," she stood up and locked the restroom door so no one would come in. "Once the bell rang, I'm taking you to his office,"

​Alexandra carefully lifted Dawn up from the toilet. She sat her down on the marble basin and slowly rested Dawn's head on the mirror.  She grabbed lots of tissues and soaked it with water to wash her face. Dawn jumped when Alexandra washed her cheekbone.

​"Sorry," she said. "It doesn't make any difference,"

​The bell finally rang. It was their cue to get out of the restroom, report to Mr. Vaughn, and end all of it.

​"I can't," Dawn said, still sitting helplessly on the basin.

​"What do you mean?"

​"Lexa, I appreciate how much you care about me, but I'm not reporting him to Vaughn,"

​"Are you hearing yourself right now? Have you even looked at yourself in the mirror?"

​"It's useless. Vaughn is no higher than my dad, it'll all just come back to him," she said. "He's the only family I have right now. Things have been rough in the family, but we'll find a way out, I know we will, I know I will," she continued.

​"But he—"

​"I know, but he wasn't himself that time, he was drunk," she said. "Just please, let it go,"

​Alexandra could see fear in her best friend's eyes. The look she gave her was so different than it used to. She wasn't sure if Dawn was afraid and scared of her father or she was just scared of being weak.

​"I'm going home," she said and stood up. She grabbed her bag and put on her shades. "Are you coming with me to the parking lot?"

​"Sure," Alexandra nodded.

​They walked down the lobby to the parking lot. The teachers who walked pass them weren't brave enough to tell them that they were supposed to be in their class. They were afraid they might lose their job.

​Alexandra gave Dawn a hug as she was about to drive off. "Stay in school, kid," they chuckled.

​When Alexandra was heading back to the building, she was caught by her teacher. She didn't have good history with him so she knew she was screwed.

​"Aren't you supposed to be in class, Westbrooke?" he said with his southern accent.

​"I was just—"

​"Principal office, now!"

​"Are you fucking kidding me?" she regretted saying that instantly. "I'm sorry,"

​She thought it would be the best time to tell Mr. Vaughn what happened, but she believed that Dawn knew what was best for herself. She let it go.

-  |||\  -

Right after she arrived home, she ran upstairs to her bedroom and locked herself in. She felt guilty for letting it go, but she knew she would feel guiltier if she snitched on Dawn's father.
​Hours she spent on making plans on saving Dawn. She was aware that she didn't sign up for this, but this was the risk she had to take, the risk she wanted to take. She needed someone to help her with this and she knew exactly who the person is.

​She took her phone and sent London a message.

​'Hey, I know we aren't that close, I don't even know if we're friends, but I really need your help'

​As soon as she sent the message, she received a call. It was from an unknown number so she thought it was her mother.

​"I'm home, Mum,"

​"LEXAAAYYY," someone on the other side shouted. Alexandra could barely hear the person because of the loud music in the background.

​"Who is this?"

​"DAWN!!" she shouted. "Don't tell me you already forget about me," she let out a laugh.

​"Wait a second, are you drunk?"

​"GUILTY!" Dawn said in high-pitched voice and laughed afterwards.

​Alexandra could hear a man shouting in the background, "Dawn! Let's dance! Put the phone down!"

​"Be there in a sec," Dawn replied to the man. "People k-keep asking me to dance, I'm a dance queen 'round 'ere!"

​"Where are you?"

​"What? You gonna join the party?" she was completely drunk.

​"What? No! Just send me your location!" she said and her phone vibrated a few seconds later.

​"In the Manor!"

​"The what?"

​"MANOR! M-A-N-N— wait is there double N's in 'Manor'?"

​She searched 'Manor' on the internet and turned out it was a club downtown, not far from her house. Alexandra had to pick her up, preventing her from doing something stupid. Dawn was clearly not in the best situation and this is how she poured her emotions.

"What the hell? What are you doing there?" Alexandra said in panic.

She didn't get any response.

"Dammit Dawn! Stop doing what you're doing!" she said and heard her coughing. "Dawn!" she shouted and put her mouth on the phone microphone. Soon after, she heard a loud thud as if the phone had fallen down.

"Dawn's down! Dawn's down!" she heard a guy shouted in the background.