Chapter Seventeen - What Was Lost, Was Lost Forever

​"I'm sorry, Ma'am, I have to go," Alexandra said.

​"So soon?"

​"Yeah, I'm afraid my parents are looking for me,"

​"We can give you a ride home, if you want. We've been here a while, I think it's time for us to go home too,"

​"Oh no, it's alright. I can walk by myself,"

​"Nonsense. We will give you a ride. Where is your home?"

​Alexandra struggled to answer this. She could easily answer the address of her current house, but what if that house had not yet existed in 2003? It would draw suspicion.

​"You can drop me off in Westlake Center. My mum works nearby,"

​"Alright then. Let me get my husband," Jane said and walked over to Stanley. They were talking and Stanley nodded. He must have agreed to give a ride to Alexandra.

​Stanley walked over to his car while Jane stood near the parking exit. Dawn and Dusk were playing catch and they were running towards Alexandra. She greeted the twins with smile and watched over them as they ran pass her.
​Alexandra was having mixed feelings. She was happy, yet so sad to see them. She wanted to stay, but she had her own matters back home.
​The car was making a turn towards the exit when it abruptly stopped. Stanley suddenly got out of the car and yelled. "KIDS! BE CAREFUL!"

​Alexandra turned her head around to the gate and saw the twins were running carelessly on the street. Dawn was after Dusk.

​"Dusk! Dad said stop!" Dawn yelled.

​Dusk stood silence and turned around. But everything was too late when a car suddenly hit her and she fell head first. Everyone was shocked. Alexandra, who was the closer one to the scene, ran towards them.

​The driver of the car got out and panicked. He just hit a child who was now lying on the asphalt and not moving.

​"Honey, something just happened. I'll call you back," the driver said with a phone to his ear.

​Dawn was unable to move. Tears started developing on her eyes. She was scared.
The driver looked up to see a teenage girl and the little girl witnessing everything. They stood still in silence not knowing what to do. Still panicking, the driver suddenly got in the car and drove away. Never did once the driver look back after he drove away. He drove so fast as if nothing happened. He probably didn't even feel guilty about it.

Alexandra's gaze never left the car as it drove farther away from them. She didn't see this one coming.

"Dad?"