Chapter Fourteen - Denial

The snow started falling. It was finally winter, her favorite time of the year; the cold breeze, hot chocolate, and the thick snow that she could throw herself into.

​Back in New York, she would roast marshmallows and sometimes other kind of things; such as papers, her past homework, even unused socks, on the fireplace. She would also build snowman and snow angel on the balcony.

​Now that her father passed away, she couldn't enjoy all those things like she used to. It all felt different.

​Two days ago, Heverbrew canceled the school for a week due to the drastic temperature drop. It was no surprise that snow in Seattle was always heavy on the first day.

​It was Sunday, the day where she could sleep all day long, but this time, she woke up early. It was only 6.30 a.m. but she was already standing in front of the mirror with her most beautiful black dress.

​She still couldn't believe of what she saw in the emergency room. It was right there in front of her. The hospital stretcher covered with white cloth and a lifeless body underneath it. Her best friend was lying with both of her eyes closed.

​The nurses were about to move her to another room. They stopped as Alexandra ran to the stretcher. She dared herself to hold the hand of her best friend that was popping out of the blanket. It was cold.

​"No... no... no... no," she tried to hold back her tears.

​"Can we see her?" Chase said to one of the nurse.

​"Go ahead," the nurse said.

​Chase was shocked to see his cousin's pale blue face. Her eye sockets seemed darker and her veins were bluer than ever.

​"Dawn?" Chase's soft voice brought everyone to tears.

​She was not waking up.

​Everything just went blur. The only thing she remembered afterwards was when she collapsed and the world turned dark. She was able to hear her surroundings but wasn't able to move her body or to open her eyes. The more she tried to escape from her unconsciousness, the more she felt tired and eventually fell deep into slumber.

​She woke up on her bed and realized that it was already morning. She tilted her head to the other side of the bed and she saw some people she recognized. The African-American woman sat on the edge of the bed beside Mrs. Caters while Jake was observing around the bedroom. Their sleepy and tired eyes looked like as if they had been up all night worrying about her.

​"Did I pass out?" Alexandra said and drew the eyes of the whole room.

​"You did," the African-American woman said with her soft and motherly voice.

​"How are you feeling, dear?" Mrs. Caters asked and gently tapped on her legs under the blanket.

​"I'm not sure," she said. "Where's my Mum?"
​"We have called her and she'll be home any minute now," Mrs. Caters said.

​The memory flashed on her head. She remembered running to the city and dwelling and yelling to two buffy men. She remembered the guy with unique accent took her to the back of the club and both of them were on their way to... somewhere. She remembered running towards the building and she saw three people waiting outside. And a guy with glasses forced her not to go inside. And then she saw her.

​"Prisca, dear, why don't you get water for her," Mrs. Caters said.

​"Sure. Jake, come on," she said and pulled his hand.

​Alexandra sat up and she could feel the blood rushing down from her head. She had a headache and her vision went dark for a moment.

​"I... I have to go," she said.