Chapter Sixteen - Miracles

The room was no different from the one she had been before. The same desk was still in the same position and piles of papers were scattered on the floor. The musty smell and atmosphere were exactly the same.

​She stepped out of the elevator, followed by a screeching sound as the doors close. She took out her flashlight and observed her surroundings. The pocket knife Jeff had taken was still back there in 'her time'.

​She left the room and walked upstairs. She looked up to see the CCTV. To her surprise, it wasn't there.

​She must have traveled back in time.
​Instead of a rusty metal door that divided the lobby and the basement, at the end of the stairs, a firm gray metal door was standing still as if it was recently installed. She reached her hand to the handle and was glad that the door wasn't locked.

​As soon as she got out, she walked down the lobby. She stood in the middle and looked through the glass to see a completely different sight. There was no fountain and there were only a few buildings across the school, less crowded than where she was before.

​She turned herself around and looked up. The inside was no different, except that the bridge that connected between buildings on the third floor wasn't built yet.

​"Hey! Kid!" a familiar voice made her jump.

​"Mr. Peak?"

​"What are you doing here?" he said as he approached her. "It's weekend,"

​"I'm meeting a friend," she lied.

​"Have I met you before? You look familiar," he paused. "Ah, yes, of course! You're a student here. Stupid me," he chuckled.

​"I-I have to go now,"

​"Sure thing," he replied.

​"One question," she said. "What year is it?"

​"Kid you trippin'?" he was confused. "It's 2003. Don't be acting Back to the Future stuff, Kid," he said.

​"I'm only messing around with you Mr. Peak," she forced a chuckle. "See ya,"

​She walked out of the building and was greeted with a tall man in white shirt. His hair was tidied up and he looked like he was in his late 30's.

​"Hey there! Why the rush?" he asked.

​"Oh, I was just waiting for a friend and she couldn't come, so I'm rushing back home," Alexandra awkwardly smiled.

​"Okay..." the man said in confusion. "Do you go here?"

​"Yes I am. I'm a tenth grader,"

​"Oh really? Can I ask, how do you like it here?" he asked. "Well if you have time, of course," he said.

​"Oh yes I absolutely do," she tried to be polite. "It's been amazing actually. I love the classes and the atmosphere. Though the teacher is a little bit terrifying," she laughed.

​"Oh yeah? Which teacher are you talking about?"

​"Mrs. Hannigan. I'm so scared of her," she let out a laugh.

​"Hannigan? Isn't she everyone's favorite teacher? She's even a good friend of mine. I've heard that she is very generous about giving scores to her students,"

​Alexandra was shocked. Was this man telling the truth? Because when she looked back to what happened, Mrs. Hannigan is nowhere near whatever the man just said. "Oh... I... Uhh," she stuttered.

​"It's alright. I won't snitch on you," he laughed. "What's your name, kid?"

​"Alexandra Westbrooke,"