Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Xavier would not allow Gemma to travel in her condition. Gemma's heart throbbed in anticipation of seeing Exton, but after Rye had exclaimed that Gemma needed medical attention, Xavier forbade her from traveling.

"It's just for a few hours," Xavier explained. "Let your body rest and then you can go find that boy."

"But-" Gemma tried to protest.

"Gemma," Rye took off her gloves and disposed of them. "Please, you're too weak right now to travel."

"Exton would want you to wait," Caspian pointed out. He had come running to the palace when he heard news of Gemma's arrival.

As they all talked, Gemma realized she really was exhausted. She stopped her protest and followed Rye to her room.

"I'm so happy you are back," Rye said as she watched Gemma enter the room. "It killed me to see Exton like that,"

Gemma gave her a understanding smile.

"Also," Rye took a deep breath. "I....I owe you an apology."

Gemma looked at Rye in confusion.

"I...." Rye struggled to say the words. "I was the one who....shot you with the arrows."

Rye braced herself for whatever Gemma had to say. She was ready for the anger.

But instead Gemma smiled, "You have good aim."

"What?" Rye asked. Gemma chuckled as she watched Rye's shoulders visivally drop.

"Rye," Gemma leaded against the doorway. "If I was in your shoes, I would have done the same thing. Your children were on the line."

"So....no hard feelings?" Rye asked hopefully.

Gemma shook her head, "No hard feelings."

Rye sighed as she started laughing, "Oh thank god....I mean it's still going to take me some time to forgive myself, but damn at least now I can breathe a little."

Gemma laughed as she watched the relief flood Rye's eyes.

"Okay, okay," Rye clasped her hands together. "Now go rest. I won't keep you any longer."

Gemma watched as Rye turned around and headed down the hall. She stepped into the room to realize Rye had dropped her off at Exton's room. A small smile appeared on her lips as she walked over to the bed.

His scent was everywhere. Gemma took a seat on the edge of the bed and ran her hand over the sheets.

An invisible string tugged at her heart. Her body begged her to lay down and curl up in the sheets but her heart wanted something else.

As Gemma sat on the bed, she couldn't help herself but open the portal. She didn't even know if she could travel to his timeline again....but it was worth a shot.

The portal opened silently and Gemma got off the bed. She walked towards it with careful steps and slipped through. When she emerged on the other side, her heart sank.

The halls were the same. She stood outside of Exton's room....no idea if the portal actually worked.

Gemma opened the door in front of her with shaky hands and peered inside. It was Exton's room, the same same room she had just portaled out of. Gemma let the door swing open as she leaned against the door frame.

"Ms. Gemma?" A voice spoke from the hall, causing Gemma to jump.

As Gemma turned she was taken back by the sight of Mardick. Her heart leaped with joy.