Chapter 14

Chapter 14

As soon as Gemma got home, she ran to her room and slammed the door closed. She threw herself onto the bed and covered her head with a plush pillow.

The whispers were no stop, they raged on and on in her ear.

Gemma

A soothing voice called out to her from the whispers.

Gemma's head snapped up.

Gemma

It came again.

Come talk to me Gemma.

Gemma's heart began to pound in her chest. She could hear the voice clear as day, as if the owner of the voice was sitting right next to her. What's worse was that it sounded just like her own voice.

Like she was listening to an old recording...

Look in the mirror, Gemma.

With shaking knees, Gemma walked over to the vanity and took a seat.

She looked at herself in the mirror. Her eyes remained unchanged...puffy and red.

Don't cry, Gemma. The voice tried to pacify her. Your tears are your greatest weapons.

"Who are you?" Gemma's voice shook.

I am anyone you want me to be, sugar.

"You're...you're her...aren't you?"

The voice gave a soft laugh in her head.

Azazel...such a strange name...personally, I prefer it when people call me Gemma, especially Exton.

Gemma's hands balled into fists as anger flared in her.

Oh...jealous, are we? Azazel teased her.

"What do you want?" Gemma asked through her teeth.

Azazel sighed in Gemma's mind. I want the world, darling.

Gemma locked eyes with herself in the mirror. "Why me?"

Azazel giggled, the sound rang in Gemma's head. You my dear are a lion in sheep's clothing. Just look at those eyes...you have everyone eating right out of your hands. Lafayette, Tobias, Xavier, Exton...they will do anything for you.

Every time Azazel said Exton's name, Gemma's heart hurt. What would he think if he found out?

All the men in your life...or should I say in our life? They all think you are helpless and weak. They pity you, Gemma. They think they can tell you what to do and treat you however they want. We will use their assumptions against them. Let them protect us while we snatch the ground from beneath their feet.

Gemma swallowed the lump in her throat, "There is no us."

Don't be foolish Gemma, Azazel growled. The day you bought that sparrow to life in your backyard was the day you sealed our faiths together forever.

"...The sparrow?" Gemma asked in a whisper as her mind flipped through memories of her as a child in her backyard. She had brought that sparrow back to life...it was the first time she had ever used her power.

Wasn't it a beautiful day? Azazel asked. Gemma could hear the smile in her voice and it made her sick.

I took one look at you and I knew you were the one, my perfect child. The universe had sent me my balance...I take life and you bring them back, how ironic.