Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Exton sat across from his father has one of the councilmen entered the throne room. Charles first bowed to Xavier and then to Exton.

"Your grace," he began. "I have just received news from Washington and Arizona...various packs have been reporting strange disappearances and disturbances in their territories."

"Strange how?" Exton asked.

"The packs in Arizona have been reporting sightings of their dead."

"What?" Xavier asked. He looked over at Exton to see the stern focus in his eyes.

"Alpha Jacob have reported that people in nearby towns have seen members of his pack that he buried last year."

Xavier molded the news over in his mind and nodded. "Thank you, Charles. For now have Basil send someone from the King's guards to go and investigate."

"Certainly," Charles bowed.

"Please have the reports sent to my room also," Exton added.

"Of course, your grace." Charles bowed once more before walking out.

Xavier turned to face his son, "What do you think it might be?"

Exton exhaled loudly, "I don't know...but something is not right if multiple packs are reporting the same thing."

"Yes," Xavier nodded as he continued to ponder. "I want you to go to Arizona with the king's guards and see to the matter."

Exton's eyes snapped up to Xavier, "I can't leave."

"Exton," Xavier tried to speak. But Exton was his mother's son...stubborn to his bones.

"No," he stood his ground. "I have to stay here and find Gemma...Caspian and I are close. She might be in the Vail...we just have to somehow open a portal..."

"Exton," Xavier said again firmly. "The vail is a labyrinth...rushing into it without proper knowledge is suicide."

"I'm not giving up."

"No one is asking you to," Xavier said. "Look, there are dead people who are coming back to life...there's only one person, who we know, can do that. Now think for a second."

"You think Gemma and Lafayette may have something to do with this," Exton concluded after a heartbeat.

"Yes," Xavier confirmed. "That is why I want you to go to Arizona and personally check it out."

Exton nodded, "Okay."

"I know you want to find her," Xavier placed a hand on his son's shoulder. "But don't let your emotions cloud your judgment."

Exton was about to answer his father when the door to the throne banged open. The thundering sound echoed through the large hall.

"Daddy!" Mavi shrieked. She stumbled into the room and covered her ears with her hands.

"How did you get down here?" Xavier laughed as he sprinted towards his daughter. "Did you run away from mama again?"

As he picked Mavi up, she giggled to hide her crimes.

"I can't keep saving you from her," Xavier laughed as he smoothed over her wild curls.

"Mama, carrots." Mavi pointed towards the door with her little finger. "No carrots!"

"Mama trying to feed you carrots again?" Xavier asked.

Mavi nodded. "Mavi want juice daddy."

"Did mama say you can have juice?"