Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Exton walked out of the throne room and walked around the halls aimlessly. He couldn't take it anymore. It felt as if they had been sitting for hours going around in circles.

Every spell they looked at, every remedy, every cure...nothing would stand against Azazel.

Exton knew in his heart that Gemma was not to be blamed for this. This wasn't her. He had hurt her, they all had...and Azazel took advantage of that.

If only he could talk to her...

"I think your father has lost his mind," Toby's voice suddenly spoke from behind Exton.

Exton sighed as he turned to face the man.

"I think I'm losing my mind," He said running a hand through his curls.

"Do you love her?" Toby tilted his head as he looked at the boy in front of him.

Exton looked up from the floor, not knowing how to answer the question.

Of course he loved her. Not loving her was never a choice. She consumed his every breath.

"It's all so strange," Toby said. "Having you here. Seeing you with Xavier."

"Why?"

"You are both born alphas and kings," Toby laughed. "Of the same kingdom...that has never happened before."

"None of this stuff has ever happened before," Exton complained. "This family can't seem to catch a fucking break."

"Are they going to kill her?" Toby suddenly asked.

Exton paused. His heart hurt hearing those words. He wanted to swing his fist through something.

"Are you going to let them?" Toby pushed. "She is your mate. Are you going to let your father drive a knife through her heart?"

"Dude," Exton took a step back. "What the fuck?" His head swam with violent images that made his heart drop to the pit of his stomach.

Toby suddenly leaped forward and grabbed Exton's arm.

"Listen to me," he hissed lowly. "None of these bastards know what it feels like to have a dead mate. You feel it in your bones. Day and night. It's a constant state of hopelessness. The world loses its color...you can't bare to live but death is too painless and easy."

Exton pulled his arm away from Toby and placed a hand on his shoulder. "You okay?"

"No, I'm not fucking okay" Toby jerked Exton's hand away. "I once had a mate, he wasn't perfect but he was mine."

"Toby...Eli tried to use you for blood," Exton pointed out.

"And your mate just painted your little sister's room with blood," Toby laughed. "But you still love her."

"Eli and Gemma are not the same," Exton said sternly.

"No," Toby shook his head. "She's much worse."

Exton glared at Toby. His words stung. Gemma would never do what Eli did to Toby.

"You once said you would snatch her from the gods," Toby pointed a finger at Exton's chest. "Well, now is your chance."

"You're not making any sense right now," Exton didn't know what to make of Toby's strange behavior. How long had he been like this?

"We should hate her," Toby said, the world spilling out of his mouth rapidly. "We should hate her because she's evil. She's different. She shouldn't be loved. That's what they will all tell you. But Exton you can not listen to them. Don't listen to them. You love her, you need her...you can't be away from your sanity."