Chapter 9

Maeve hadn't stopped smiling since she and Otis had finally stopped beating around the bush and had confessed their love for each other. She never thought she would ever be someone who would be that affected by one person, but here she was, smiling when she saw beautiful flowers or when the sun shined just right. She was getting soft not that she'd ever admit it.

"I'm so glad, you and Otis decided to stop being stupid." Aimee said, as she and Maeve walked towards their lockers.

"I mean that's one way of putting it but yeah, me too." Maeve said.

"Do you guys know what you're going to be doing?" Aimee asked.

"I don't but I think Otis does. He doesn't want to tell me yet." Maeve said with a shy smile.

"It's tomorrow night, right?" Aimee asked.

"Yup." Maeve said, reaching her locked.

Maeve turned around to look for Otis, who was talking to Ruby. She didn't want to admit it but it really pissed her off seeing them together. She knew Otis said there was nothing going on between them but could Ruby just back the fuck off? She obviously knew there was something going on between her and Otis. Maybe it was the fact that Maeve always felt unsure of what kind of relationship Otis wanted with her and that led her to feel insecure around Ruby. But that was something Maeve didn't want to think about.

"Don't." Aimee said, interrupting Maeve's thoughts.

"What?" Maeve asked, turning towards Aimee.

"Don't start losing your shit. There is nothing going on between them and you know it." Aimee said.

"I wasn't.." Maeve began but was interrupted by Otis appearing behind her and giving her peck on the cheek. He had left Ruby as soon as he saw Maeve .

"Hey." Otis said with a smile that threatened to take up most of his face.

"Hey, dickhead." Maeve said, starting to melt a little.

"How are you this morning?" Otis asked. He really wanted to come up with something better but at this point Maeve knew what a little dork he was so there was no point pretending to be suave.

"I'm alright, how about you?" Maeve asked, catching Ruby's eye. The second that she did, her expressions changed from her Otis smile to one of her wanting to rip Ruby's head off.

"Is everything okay?" Otis asked, looking back to see who Maeve was trying to kill with her eyes.

"I'm going to leave you two to it." Aimee said, clearly not wanting any part in this.

"Yeah, why wouldn't it be?" Maeve asked, her falls clearing building up again as she redirected her gaze to Otis.

"You just.. you seem kind of angry looking at Ruby. Is this because I was talking to her earlier?" Otis asked, trying to tread as lightly as possible.

"I'm not, why would I be? Is there something I should be angry about?" Maeve asked, crossing her arms across her chest. She knew she was starting to be a little unreasonable but she couldn't help herself.

"No, not at all. I mean, Ruby and I are just friends." Otis said.

"Yeah." Maeve said.

"Are you.. are you jealous? Is that what's going on right now?" Otis asked.

"Why would I be jealous of her?" Maeve asked, clearly getting very offended.

"No, I'm not saying that.. I just. I'm going to stop talking." Otis said, knowing he was in a lot of trouble.