Chapter 52

Katniss' POV

I wake up leaning against a hard wall. Not the soft bed covers it should be. I can't see a thing in this dark word I'm in. Am I blind?

I open my eyes wider to make sure and discover the outline of poles. I shriek at the sight.

"Peeta! Peeta!" I scream. I hyperventilate. Where is he!?

"Katniss. Katniss are you there?" I hear, shaky yet quiet.

"Peeta!" I exclaim in relief and drag myself to the cell door. I look beyond the poles and see Peeta opposite me, in another cell.

Once he sees me, he gets closer to the door. My mouth drops in relief at the sight of him.
"Katniss." He says and stretches his hand out through the bars and towards me. Mine slips through the gap I first find and stretches to reach his hand.

Our fingers can just touch. Tears spill from my eyes, discovering the fact the hall isn't thin enough for us to hold hands.
My sobs get louder. I want him to be able to hold me close.

"Kat. It's okay." He reassures as I drop my arm and lean my head on the poles. "We will get out shortly." He adds. I look up to see sympathy covering his face.

I hear a metal door open and Peeta and I shrink into the corners of a cell. A peacekeeper walks slowly to our cells and turns to Peeta's. He gets his ring full of keys and unlocks his cell. The peacekeeper goes in and grabs Peeta by his shirt.

"No! What are you doing to him!?" I exclaim and go back up to the bars.

He drags Peeta out and turns to my cell. He opens up my cell and I move back. I watch as the peacekeeper throws Peeta in. He stumbles and lands beside me.

"Peeta." I exclaim and crawl to his side.

"Katniss." He mimics my voice and we hug. My hands find their way to his hair and we begin sharing short kisses. Peeta sits up and we hold each other so close. Nearly squeezing each other.

"I love you so much." Peeta comments in between kisses.

"I love you so much." I repeat. I never knew though the cell door never closed. I hear a gun shot and my face shoots up. I see a gun pointed towards up and look down to Peeta's back.

"Peeta!" I frantically exclaim and bring his face into my hands. His eyes start glassing over.
"NO PEETA NO!!!" I scream, sobbing.

I scream and jolt awake to a dark world.

"PEETA!" I scream and feel arms hug me. "Peeta!"

"It's okay. I'm here. It wasn't real." I hear his voice softly speak into my ear and my head buries into his chest. Where I try to find peace and stop the sobbing.