Chapter 17

Peeta's POV

I place many kisses on my 1 year olds face as she giggles.

I take a break and smile before placing a few more.

"Hey, hey. Mummy needs to give the birthday girl some birthday kisses as well." Katniss explains and pries Willow away from my embrace.

I smile and give Willow to her mother.

Katniss gives Willow a huge and long kiss on Willow's cheek and she laughs before sitting beside me on the couch.

"Happy Birthday Willow! You're 1 now!" I exclaim.

Katniss sits Willow on her thighs and strokes her pink dress out flat.

Willow follows Katniss and attempts to straighten her dress skirt but only hits it with her hand.

Katniss and I chuckle quickly and once Willow becomes bored she looks up at us.

"Willow. Want to see what daddy has?" I ask Willow and she looks at me with big eyes.

I laugh and grab a box from the coffee table.

I open it up and gasp with a smile.

I pick it up from its place in the box and show Willow and Katniss.

I've given her a silver bracelet with her name engraved into it.

"Oh Peeta." Katniss exclaims. "Is it okay for her age?" Katniss asks slightly worried.

I place it carefully onto Willow's right wrist and look up at Katniss.

"I checked with them and they said yes." I answer and Katniss silently sighs in relief.

Katniss reaches for something behind her.

"Look who's here!!" Katniss exclaims and sits a honey coloured teddy bear in front of her.

"Say hello to Mr Teddy Willow." Katniss says and makes one of the teddy's arms wave.

Willow's eyes widen and she lunges forward to hug the bear. Katniss sits Willow back up and Willow just clutches onto the teddy.

I know, she will be with the teddy at all times.

I smile and lean over to give Katniss a quick peck on the lips.

I take Willow from Katniss' knees and place her on my right calf.

"This day, a year ago was one of the happiest days of my life." I start and look up at Katniss.

"You went through 8 and a half hours of excruciating pain just to bring her here. I couldn't ask for a more perfect daughter." I continue and Katniss has tears in her eyes threatening to spill.

"I couldn't ask for a more perfect woman. A more perfect wife, to have the guts and sacrifices to bring this child here for us."

Katniss wipes her cheeks as they become wet from her flowing tears.

"Katniss Mellark. You are amazing and I can't thank you enough for Willow" I end and Katniss bursts into tears.

Katniss carefully leans over and hugs me. She cries into my shoulder and I let a few tears fall from my own eyes.

"I love you oh so much Peeta." She comments through her sobs.

"I love you too Kat." I reply and smile.