Chapter 16

Peeta's POV

"You're going to do it Willow!" I quietly exclaim as Katniss holds Willow in a standing position.

Willow is starting to show signs of trying to walk so we're giving it a go.
Giving it a go, meaning sitting in the middle of the hall giving it a go.

Willow has a huge smile, excited to give it a go herself.

"You ready?" Katniss asks Willow but she doesn't reply verbally.

I trying to keep an eager expression off my face but it's no use.
I'm so happy that Willow's going to attempt her first steps.

"3...2...1... Go!" Katniss says and slowly let's go of Willow.
Willow stands on the same spot for a little while, slightly confused.

"Willow." I call and Willow snaps her head in my direction. My hands gesture her towards me.
"Willow. Come here Willow." I calmly instruct. She doesn't move.

"Come to daddy!" I instruct again and my hopes lessen as Willow still stands in the same spot. Just looking at me.

"Go to daddy Willow." Katniss coos and Willow falls back into Katniss' arms. Katniss catches her and we both exclaim in disappointment.

I bring myself closer to Willow and Katniss so Willow won't need to go as far.
Katniss stands Willow up again and lets go once she's balanced.

"Daddy wants a hug from little Willow." I exclaim and hold my arms out towards her.

Willow slowly places her foot in front of her and Katniss and I cheer.
"Come on Willow." I cheer and Willow takes more steps carefully.

A wide smile appears on my face as my daughter walks to me.

When Willow is about the fall into my embrace, she falls to the ground instead with a thud.
My wife and I frown as Willow starts crying.

"Oh Willow." I murmur and scoop her into my arms. She continues crying into my shoulder.

"You were so close." I exclaim quietly and hug Willow more.

I kiss Willow's soft, brown hair covered head and Katniss sits beside me.
I stroke Willow's back and Katniss holds Willow's head in her hand as her crying tries to lessen.

At least she walked a few steps.