Chapter 7

"Ok," Isen said, clapping his hands together. He looked at my daughter and smiled, but I could tell that it was not one of his cheerful smiles but one filled with sadness. He had listened to my thoughts without my permission, but I didn't care because I knew that he wouldn't tell anyone. "Let's get this done so that I can get out of your mother's hair for a bit, ya?"

Alexandria rolled her eyes and scowled with a small smile hiding under it. "Waiting on you," she said, earning a laugh from Isen because that was exactly what I would say.

"She's your daughter, Anastasia," Isen said, glancing at me. He smiled; this one not filled with the hidden sadness that I had picked up on in his first smile. "Through and through."

"I know, Isen," I said. I gave him a pointed look, and he grinned innocently. "I was there when she was born."

Isen smiled and nodded. Sadness filled his eyes, and I knew that it was because we both had it rough when she was born with little hope that we would survive. "I know," he said, his voice cracking. He cleared his throat and turned to look at Alexandria, holding his hands out in front of him.

Alexandria cheerfully placed her hands in his palms up. She had no idea what her birth was like and how we had almost lost her.

She was a miracle child, born from a complicated pregnancy with so many scares that I didn't know if she would survive or be able to reach even her first birthday, much less her second.

However, she did, and I had a feeling that she would live through many more birthdays with Isen's help until she was old enough to learn to control her powers that Isen helped keep dormant.

"So, are you ready?" Isen asked, and I had a feeling that he raised an eyebrow. "You should be."

"I am," Alexandria complained. She pouted and cocked her head while she studied the Dryad before her. "So start, pwease?"

Isen laughed and nodded. "Of course," he said. He cleared his throat and looked at me before he looked at my daughter. "So," he began. "There once was a female..."

"Thank you," Alexandria chirped, interrupting him.

The Dryad huffed teasingly and pouted. "Dia," he complained. "You are not supposed to interrupt a second time, remember? That's against the rules."

Alexandria huffed and rolled her eyes, a habit that she had picked up from me, and I knew I had to stop it as well. "Well, so-rry," she sassed, and I snorted. "Now, continue, pwease?"

Isen shook his head and smiled. He cleared his throat and licked his lips, studying my daughter and waited for her to interrupt him again. "Ok," he said when she didn't. "There once was a female who had been gifted with special gifts."

Magic filled the air around us while Isen called on his powers and my daughters. It crackled and hissed, weaving throughout the room and filling it with electricity and energy.

Carter gasped at the feeling, and I looked at him to see how amazed and shocked he was. His eyes were focused solely on my daughter and Isen, and I had a feeling that he didn't notice me staring at him.

The magic that surrounded us made the hairs on our arms stick at attention and sent a shiver down my spine like always.

"The female was gifted with the power of life, able to bring life to others and take it away. She was grateful for the gift and used it to help others."

Their eyes turned white, and the air around their hands started to white as well. The wind picked up around them, and Alexandria's hair started to shift, softly, in the wind.