Chapter 13

The rest of the day and the following week went by fast, faster than I thought it could because leading up to the day that I came back to the pack had drug on for what was like a millennium.

Carter came around quite often to get to know his daughter and take her over to the main pack house, which I hadn't set foot in the whole time I was there.

I couldn't...

The fear was too strong, and I was always surprised that no one had attacked me while I walked through the woods, most of the time alone and then some of the time with either Sam or Blue at my side.

I knew that people were watching me, some with glares while others looked at me curiously but still no one attacked me nor said a word.

Isen was nearby as always, but he was near my daughter most of the time, even if neither she nor Carter could see him.

But that didn't stop him from being an arms reach away and would come to my rescue if I needed him or didn't.

Michael and Avery came over when they could, with Michael practically begging me to make him swear to me again, which I never agreed to.

He had a pack and a mate to worry about; he didn't need to worry about me too, especially since Isen had been nearby to make sure that everything was fine and I was safe.

However, that still didn't sit well with him, and it took me threatening to command him to stop that got him to stop complaining, especially since he knew that I hated commanding people to do something for me such as that.

Isen had enjoyed the whole thing and had been laughing in my head while I threatened him, but he agreed that it would be better if Michael wasn't "attached" to me like he had been once before.

Isen knew something, something that he wasn't telling me about why he didn't want Michael "attached" to me, and I knew it didn't have to deal with the Dryad himself.

It was something bigger, something that was hidden in the house my mate resided in, and there were times when it called to me, beckoning me to go in and enjoy the "warmth" that packhouses were known to have.

However, I didn't; I couldn't, for that was where he was at, and the thought of having him yell at me for being there made me nervous and anxious.

I didn't belong in a pack setting nor at the packhouse, especially since everyone was watching me, judging me with heated glances and harsh whispers.

They blamed me for everything that was going on with Carter and the pack after my older sister's death, and I couldn't blame them; I blamed myself too.

But that all changed one day, and I was awoken from a much needed nap to this warmth that I couldn't ignore any longer like I had ignored for the past few days.

It beckoned, and pulsated through the air around me, begging me to follow and to see whatever it wanted to show me that was located in the packhouse. It, whatever it was, was tired of taking no as an answer and tired of being ignored, so I finally relented and decided to follow this pull that I couldn't explain.

I got out of bed in a daze and slipped on my shoes before I walked out of my room and down the steps of the house that I resided in away from my mate.

I ignored the curious glance that Blue sent my way while I walked past him and outside, closing the door behind me and making my way to the pack house, ignoring the curious glances of the pack members that were out and about as well.

All too soon, I was at the door to the pack house and only then did I pause, ignoring the feeling for a second.

However, it didn't take long before I took a deep, shuddering breath and closed my eyes while I touched the doorknob and opened the door into Carter's house. The pull was too much for me to ignore, and I was close to whatever the problem was anyway.

The smells and sights didn't bother me while I took a hesitant step into the house and gently pushed the door closed, being soft and gentle as if not to stir the feeling or anyone else inside the house.

Still, no one bothered me while I followed the feeling up the stairs, not even bothering to look around and see the changes that had happened to this place. Those changes could wait while this feeling could not be ignored.

I walked and walked up the steps until I was on the final floor and continued to walk until I was in front of a closed door that didn't look like it had been opened in a long time.

And that was the place where I had stopped, feeling as if whatever was hiding behind that door was what was beckoning me to come over. It held secrets that a lot of people didn't know or if they did, then they had forgotten.

It, the secrets, wanted to be discovered again, and for some reason, it wanted me to be the one to know and not someone else.

So, taking a deep breath and sending a prayer to the Goddess that this wouldn't be the cause of my death, I opened the door and gasped.

***

My heart ached and a feeling of immense guilt filled me while I looked at the room. "Oh, Alexia," I said with a soft breath while I hesitantly stepped into the be- nursery, my heart jumping into my throat and making it hard for me to breathe. "Why did you stay?"

The room was filled with dust but was ready for a small baby that was never going to be born.

The walls were painted a light blue with the name "Gage" written in a darker blue above and behind the baby crib in bubble letters with yellow dots in them of varying sizes.

Inside the crib was a blanket with his name on it as well as a wolf that almost looked like mine and seemed to be staring at me, welcoming me in the room for some reason.

Near the crib was a rocker in which I could picture my sister sitting and rocking her baby to sleep, giving him the love and support that she had gotten when she was child, unlike me.

The feeling of urgency grew after a few minutes of staring at the nursery before I moved and slowly walked over to the crib, letting the warmth guide me in a way that I didn't understand but didn't question.

When I reached the crib, I hesitantly reached over and brushed the wolf's fur, kicking up some dust that didn't bother me like normally would.

After that, I moved the wolf to the side and grabbed the blanket that would've belonged to my nephew if he had been born.

And as soon as I picked up the blanket, I fell to my knees with a startled gasp that couldn't be heard and everything went black.