Twenty-Fifth

I woke up with a start, finding myself in that weird building again. The ground suddenly rumbled and I got up, thinking it was an earthquake.

"DA---DDY!" a loud but demented sounding child's voice called out in the night.

I got out of the bed and went over to the window when suddenly this huge eye socket appeared. I yelled, falling to the ground as a huge child's hand reached in, breaking the glass. It grabbed me up and pulled me out of the hole it had made in the building and pulled up to its face.

"Daddy?" it asked.

"I'm not Max!"

"Have you seen my daddy?" it asked, turning its head at me in question.

"Actually, no I haven't, sorry..."

"Okay..." it said sadly.

The child put me down gently outside and I watched the gigantic thing walk around the house, calling out for Max. I shook my head in confusion and then looked back at the house, finding Max peeking through a window. He pointed to the front door and I got up, going to it.

*********************

I opened the door and Max was waiting there, looking anxiously over my shoulder.

"Is it gone?"

"It's somewhere out there but not near here... What the hell happened to it?"

"I don't know. It's like the more I keep trying to get away from it, the bigger it gets. Before I realized it, it had turned into a giant and has been guarding the outside of the house, looking into the windows trying to find me. It's getting harder and harder to keep away from it."

"I mean, did you piss it off or something?"

"Not that I'm aware of. It doesn't act out or do anything violent. It just calmly tromps around calling out for me. It's extremely patient; it'll wait for days on end so that I will pass by the window."

"Days? How long does it feel like it's been for you?"

"Weeks; why how long has it really been?"

"A day since I last saw you, about two or three days overall."

"Time in here sucks..."

"I thought you said you couldn't leave the house? How come I was able to?"

"If No Face pulls you out of the house, that's the only time you ever get to see the outside. If you escape its grasp, the only place left to go is back into the house and then when you get into the house the same thing happens as before."

"DA----DDY!" the child yells again.

"Come on, the more center we are to the house, the less chances of it finding us will be."

I closed the door and we walked deeper into the house.

**************************

Max was right regarding the timing of wherever we were. It felt like days as we roamed around the house, trying to keep away from the windows and trying every door we came across. As we went through the house, there were a couple of things that were becoming apparent. One was that No Face wasn't attacking the house like Max said but even when it would peak into the windows, it didn't really do much. The only time it did anything with the house was because it actually saw me or Max and was trying to grab us. Every other time it seemed like it was actually kind of lonely and at "night" I could swear I could hear it crying. When I asked Max about it though, he said it did that so that it could lure us to the window, make us feel sorry for it so that it could grab us and make us stay. I have a weird feeling that Max keeping away from the child or the child wanting to keep Max with it is the whole solution to this problem. I think there's something more to this...